The Student Room Group

Stats

Would region A have the largest mean, and then c and then b?611EA67D-C72D-46BA-B53A-08E7F2E52909.jpeg41AE655A-F1F5-4B12-AF7E-7422D8C3D2B0.jpeg0FFEEB2D-4620-423B-9177-897000DAC3E9.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
B would be the largest mean? The pdf/frequency density is skewed towards older people?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
B would be the largest mean? The pdf/frequency density is skewed towards older people?

What’s the pdf? And why does skewed make a difference?
Original post by Bigflakes
What’s the pdf? And why does skewed make a difference?

pdf (probability density function) ~ frequency density.
There is relatively more "mass" in B for older people (higher ages) compared to younger people so the mean will be higher.
Why do you think A?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
pdf (probability density function) ~ frequency density.
There is relatively more "mass" in B for older people (higher ages) compared to younger people so the mean will be higher.
Why do you think A?

Oh wait, is it because we are looking at the average age for each region so the one with more older people would have a higher average age. I thought at first that we were looking at the average amount of people for each age group. So it would be B then C then A
Original post by Bigflakes
Oh wait, is it because we are looking at the average age for each region so the one with more older people would have a higher average age. I thought at first that we were looking at the average amount of people for each age group. So it would be B then C then A

I agree with the ordering. The fact that its split up into bars isn't necessarily that relevant, youre simply looking to see if the area is skewed (relatively) to younger or older people. B looks like its skewed to older people, A looks like its skewed to younger people and C somewhere between the two.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
I agree with the ordering. The fact that its split up into bars isn't necessarily that relevant, youre simply looking to see if the area is skewed (relatively) to younger or older people. B looks like its skewed to older people, A looks like its skewed to younger people and C somewhere between the two.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest