The Student Room Group

How much does predicted grades matter for medicine if you've reached the minimum num?

Say the minimum is AAA and you get A*AA or A*A*A or A*A*A*, do the 3 matter by a lot or would someone who gets A*A*A be at a massive disadvantage compared to someone who gets A*A*A*?
Context please - if you just wanna go into med as long as you have the minimum entry requirements and you have a good UCAT score and personal statement you should be able to get an interview
Reply 2
Original post by sername2006
Say the minimum is AAA and you get A*AA or A*A*A or A*A*A*, do the 3 matter by a lot or would someone who gets A*A*A be at a massive disadvantage compared to someone who gets A*A*A*?

The main thing is to get an offer to interview. There are different ways that different unis select for interview.

Not every med school even considers the predicted grades. Often it is based on your GCSEs or in other limited cases perhaps your PS or your work experience. In a few cases the predicted grades are key (Exeter for example).

As others have said context matters here.

The most important thing is to be strategic in your application. Once you have your UCAT score go onto the Megathread and ask for advice on where to make strategic applications.

You will be able to break it down a bit for yourself before then by looking at the entry requirement (subjects) at GCSE and A Level and the published admissions policies.

Good luck.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ashpritgcse2020
Context please - if you just wanna go into med as long as you have the minimum entry requirements and you have a good UCAT score and personal statement you should be able to get an interview

Sadly, many people with apparently good stats dont get interviews.

It is important, however good your stats are, to clearly understand the admission and selection policies of the med schools you are applying for.

Anything less than 12 A* at GCSE and 3A* in all sciences at A level, and well over 3000 on UCAT and its best to apply strategically.

Even then, if you applied to somewhere like Keele with those stats and no work experience, then its a wasted application, Bristol however might be fine.

Its all down to how they select for interview. If you dont get an interview then you cant shine.

The vast majority of people do not have stats like that and really, really, need to apply strategically.

Unexpected things can trip anybody up.

This is why the "what uni megathread" is on part 5 and going strong !
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by GGIN
Sadly, many people with apparently good stats dont get interviews.

It is important, however good your stats are, to clearly understand the admission and selection policies of the med schools you are applying for.

Anything less than 12 A* at GCSE and 3A* in all sciences at A level, and well over 3000 on UCAT and its best to apply strategically.

Even then, if you applied to somewhere like Keele with those stats and no work experience, then its a wasted application, Bristol however might be fine.

Its all down to how they select for interview. If you dont get an interview then you cant shine.

The vast majority of people do not have stats like that and really, really, need to apply strategically.

Unexpected things can trip anybody up.

This is why the "what uni megathread" is on part 5 and going strong !

Honestly I would disagree 3000 is way too high I would suggest something like 2850+ for most unis and 3a*s is overkill I know so many people who got into med with As if anything I got into med with A*AA. most people aren’t chosen based on either their UCAT or their personal statement.
Reply 5
Honestly I would disagree 3000 is way too high I would suggest something like 2850+ for most unis and 3a*s is overkill I know so many people who got into med with As if anything I got into med with A*AA. most people aren’t chosen based on either their UCAT or their personal statement.

I would agree.

I am not saying that 12A*s and 3A*S at A level and a walk on water UCAT score and tons of work experience is necessary to get an offer.

I am saying that if you have those stats you may not have to worry about being quite as strategic in your choices.

Below that (so really 99% of people) strategic applications are most definitely the way to go.

The most important thing is to apply to a med school where "the computer says no" isnt a real risk. If you dont make it past the automated (or more structured) selection for interview process then you dont have a chance of showing them how fabulous you are at the more subjective interview stage.

If you have a magnificent UCAT score think about applyong somewhere that uses UCAT post interview. If you have SJT B3 dont apply to Manchester (even though they are bit opaque on whther they accept it, the practical reality has been not really in the past). If you dont have amazing work exp, Keele is a mistake. Some would say if you are RUK dont apply to Cardiff for example.

Strategy is all !
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6

2700 UCAT, AAA would have been enough for 4 good choices this year, with the right GCSEs. The point was that unless you have the stats suggested, you do not have all med schools open to you and have to apply strategically, not that everyone needs those stats for an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending