The Student Room Group

Maths

The line with equation mx y 2 = 0 touches the circle with equation x 2 + 6x +y 2 8y = 4.
Find the two possible values of m, giving your answersin exact form.

This person got this anwser,
y = mx - 2

So we want to find m such that x2 + 6x + (mx - 2)2 - 8(mx - 2) = 4 has a single solution.

x2 + 6x + m2x2 - 4mx + 4 - 8mx + 16 = 4
(m2+1)x2 + (-12m+6)x + 16 = 0

So we need the discriminant to equal 0.

(-12m+6)2 - 64(m2+1) = 0
144m2 - 144m + 36 - 64m2 - 64 = 0
80m2 - 144m - 28 = 0

Now use quadratic formula to find your values for m.

I am confused where the x went? can someone explain in depth please and thanks in advance.
Do you understand what the discriminant is? If not that’s probably the source of your confusion
Reply 2
Original post by Flibbler
Do you understand what the discriminant is? If not that’s probably the source of your confusion

Yes I know what a discriminant is. Am i missing something? could you explain
When you use the discriminant you are certainly going to lose the x. That’s the whole point of the discriminant. You plug in the constants a,b,c from ax^2 + bc +c =0. It’s basically just a part of the quadratic formula.

Since your question is about losing the x, the discriminant might be something to look at.

If you are confused about a different part of the question, let us know
Reply 4
You seem to be following the steps a bit wrong. The x went away because when you take the discriminant, you're not rewriting the earlier equation in terms of x in a different form - you're looking at an entirely different equation that just so happens to also equal 0.
Reply 5
When you use the discriminant you are certainly going to lose the x. That’s the whole point of the discriminant. You plug in the constants a,b,c from ax^2 + bc +c =0. It’s basically just a part of the quadratic formula.

Since your question is about losing the x, the discriminant might be something to look at.

If you are confused about a different part of the question, let us know

Oh I see what you mean now. Okay ill give discriminant a better look.

Another question, this may be a bit stupid.
If there were 2 brackets. Lets say
(2x-2)+(5x+4)
would these 2 multiply into each other? Considering there is an addition sign between them.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
You seem to be following the steps a bit wrong. The x went away because when you take the discriminant, you're not rewriting the earlier equation in terms of x in a different form - you're looking at an entirely different equation that just so happens to also equal 0.

They are the same equations though aren't they.
Reply 7
Original post by HashMash
They are the same equations though aren't they.

The equation to solve for xx is (m2+1)x2+(12m+6)x+16=0(m^2+1)x^2 + (-12m+6)x + 16 = 0. You can't solve this (to get specific values) without knowing mm. You solve for mm by taking the discriminant to equal 0, which gives you a different quadratic equation. You seemed to suggest in your original post that the discriminant equation was a way of rewriting the earlier equation, which it isn't.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
The equation to solve for xx is (m2+1)x2+(12m+6)x+16=0(m^2+1)x^2 + (-12m+6)x + 16 = 0. You can't solve this (to get specific values) without knowing mm. You solve for mm by taking the discriminant to equal 0, which gives you a different quadratic equation. You seemed to suggest in your original post that the discriminant equation was a way of rewriting the earlier equation, which it isn't.

Ah and that's when the xx are taken out. I see thank you.
Original post by HashMash
Oh I see what you mean now. Okay ill give discriminant a better look.

Another question, this may be a bit stupid.
If there were 2 brackets. Lets say
(2x-2)+(5x+4)
would these 2 multiply into each other? Considering there is an addition sign between them.

(2x-2)+(5x+4)=7x+2

You just add the like terms
Reply 10
(2x-2)+(5x+4)=7x+2

You just add the like terms

Got it thanks alot.

Quick Reply

Latest