The Student Room Group

Advice Pleaseee

Hi, I don’t know if anyone has seen my last post but basically I have a few questions about BTECS because I’ve decided to resit this year and it’s been really hard for me these past couple of months mentally especially. But I don’t want to give up and I want this because this is all I’ve ever been working towards and Education is very very important to me. So I was thinking of resitting but doing BTECs instead- so the double Applied Science (so the National Diploma) and resitting A-Level Maths. I’m kind of worried about the BTECs because I know quite a lot of people look down on it and I think quite a few Universities don’t accept BTECs. I feel like they would prefer someone who has done A-Levels over me and I’m worried I won’t be able to get into University. And I’m also not very sure what I can do with these qualifications you know. I have an idea of what I want to be and do which is working in the NHS. It’s always been a dream of mine. So in the healthcare sector basically- but I don’t want to do nursing. I was thinking something like a pharmacist but I don’t think they would consider me? Or a radiographer, which I find really interesting too. I could really really use some advice and I would honestly appreciate it so much. And how is BTEC Applied Science? Would you say it’s hard or the same content as A-Levels? And do you think I’d be looked down on a lot because I did BTECs instead of A-levels? Sorry if I’m asking a lot, I could just really do with someone’s help…
Reply 1
No you will not it’s just bs honestly. I did Btec applied science, one of my family members did a levels and the content is same. Depending on which college you attend it may vary on how you assessed but mine was examinations and assignments. I was accepted by 4 unis for nursing many of my classmates went for pharmacy and were also accepted. Look at your preferred university’s entry requirements, majority except Btec.
Hey! I am sorry you haven’t been well mentally recently. I am current a BTEC Applied Science Extended Diploma student, so I might be able to give you some wisdom. Some of the content overlaps with A-level, but some of it is different. The way the content is examined and delivered is much different, you will be expected to complete assignments in 1-2 weeks as well as prepare for exams in winter time.

You can definitely get into university with a BTEC, some unis may not accept it or ask for a higher equalising grade, but in general universities don’t look down on them. I think you would need to look at a couple of pharmacy courses or radiography degrees to see what they would like in terms of entry requirements. If you are interested in the NHS they offer other roles such as biomedical scientist where you would be working in a laboratory at a hospital reviewing and analysing samples and helping to diagnose patients. Or you can become a clinical scientist and work in the healthcare science in the NHS. As you can see there are still a lot of options on the table for you and don’t feel limited because you don’t think BTECs are as good or prestigious as A-Levels.

I am welcome to answer anymore questions :smile:
Original post by andrew.hills_
Hey! I am sorry you haven’t been well mentally recently. I am current a BTEC Applied Science Extended Diploma student, so I might be able to give you some wisdom. Some of the content overlaps with A-level, but some of it is different. The way the content is examined and delivered is much different, you will be expected to complete assignments in 1-2 weeks as well as prepare for exams in winter time.

You can definitely get into university with a BTEC, some unis may not accept it or ask for a higher equalising grade, but in general universities don’t look down on them. I think you would need to look at a couple of pharmacy courses or radiography degrees to see what they would like in terms of entry requirements. If you are interested in the NHS they offer other roles such as biomedical scientist where you would be working in a laboratory at a hospital reviewing and analysing samples and helping to diagnose patients. Or you can become a clinical scientist and work in the healthcare science in the NHS. As you can see there are still a lot of options on the table for you and don’t feel limited because you don’t think BTECs are as good or prestigious as A-Levels.

I am welcome to answer anymore questions :smile:

Hi, thank you so much for this. It’s just that I feel like biomed doesn’t really have much patient interaction which is what I want. I’ve looked into quite a few foundation years for pharmacy too. In my sixth form/college they do the same I have exams and assignments. Do you know anyone that wants to do pharmacy with BTECS?
Original post by ronnie.a.123
Hi, thank you so much for this. It’s just that I feel like biomed doesn’t really have much patient interaction which is what I want. I’ve looked into quite a few foundation years for pharmacy too. In my sixth form/college they do the same I have exams and assignments. Do you know anyone that wants to do pharmacy with BTECS?

No problem! In my class I don't think anyone is wanting to do pharmacy. You may have to do a foundation year as a lot of unis ask for a A-level in chemistry, but if you dig deep you may find a uni which will accept you without a foundation year. No shame in doing a foundation year, a lot of the students who do a foundation year tend to do better than students without.
Hi Ronnie! I've just completed by second yr of doing extended diploma applied science level 3, and from what I know, you can choose certain career paths that do involve patient interaction. I think you're a bit like me, in the sense of wanting patient interaction, so there are options available. For example, you can optometry, or audiology (which I'm going into), or physician associate or even radiology or pharmacy, all of which have a decent amount of interaction. I knew a few people that were looking into pharmacy with BTECs, and not necessarily anyone that has chosen it. The course is great! its an excellent course with plenty of opportunities. If you need any help whatsoever, lmk. Or even any help with the BTEC course content, pm me. Ive just completed the course with D*D*D*, so I think I may be able to help you push up your grades. hope that helpful!
Original post by ronnie.a.123

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending