The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mark 5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mzbrown
Right now A* C C
Resitting in Sep

Resitting what exactly? AS grades don’t officially exist anymore, and you have to apply to medicine by the middle of October, so you’re hoping your school is going to reassess your mock grade?
(edited 1 year ago)
I’m resitting biology and chemistry in September. My school will reassess my predicted grades if I do better.
Reply 62
Original post by Chi chi5
Ah ok so what it required are three sciences if you’re thinking Cambridge. Biology chemistry and either physics or maths at a level. You’ll need English language, sciences, maths at least at gcse level. Oxford scores your highest (10 I believe) GCSEs so you’d need pretty much straight 8/9s. You can only choose one oxbridge uni. This being said, it appears to be that you haven’t started GCSEs yet so bear in mind by the time you apply (in 3 or 4 years time?) things may very well be drastically different. Just concentrate on doing well in whatever subjects you choose and make sure they include maths English language and sciences. The rest don’t matter.

I have already started IGCSEs and did 6 subjects(actually 5, as English 2nd language doesn't count in UK) , and soon moving to UK so will start GCSEs to complete a certain number of subjects.

I just want to know does the 10 that I underlined in your previous reply refer to 10 subjects needed as O-levdl to apply to oxford.

Also what is an oxbridge and is one of the 5 uni mentioned an oxbridge?
Original post by Tito.
I have already started IGCSEs and did 6 subjects(actually 5, as English 2nd language doesn't count in UK) , and soon moving to UK so will start GCSEs to complete a certain number of subjects.

I just want to know does the 10 that I underlined in your previous reply refer to 10 subjects needed as O-levdl to apply to oxford.

Also what is an oxbridge and is one of the 5 uni mentioned an oxbridge?

Hey oxbridge is Cambridge and Oxford. Yes the 10 is 10 subjects unless you do double or triple science. Also if you want to practice in the uk it doesn’t matter which uni you attend so unless you’ve got good reason for applying to oxbridge other than prestige Id go for safer options. Oxbridge is very academic focused and use the traditional teaching style of lectures years 1-3 then clinical years 4-6. Their interview reflects this. If you are very interested in clinical research/ traditional style learning, great at exam taking, and excel in biology and chemistry then go for it, if not it wouldn’t be wise applying there. My advice is do your best, see how you get on and reevaluate when you have your a level predicted grades and UCAT and BMAT scores. Apply to where your stats are best suited. Cambridge doesn’t score GCSEs but require A*A*A at a level.
Reply 64
Original post by mzbrown
Hey,
So I just finished my AS levels and my grades were no where near where I wanted them to be so I’m resitting in September. In my third subject I got an A.

I was just wondering, is it possible for one to improve 2 heavy subjects over the summer whilst revising for the UCAT?

It depends on whether you worked very hard and got CC or got those grades because you didn't revise. It is not easy to get As at A level, you really have to understand the content. In a normal year around 40% of offer holders do not achieve the grades.
Original post by Tito.
I am thinking of oxford, Cambridge, Manchester , bristle or exter, i want to take medicine course.

For Oxford or Cambridge you pretty much will need mostly A or A* at GCSE for those places so having other options like Bristol is smart those other options are also pretty good unis. So don’t be disappointed if you don’t get in to Oxbirdge you’ll still have a fun time. Good luck with your GCSE and A-levels they are much more important for uni.
Original post by jonathanemptage
For Oxford or Cambridge you pretty much will need mostly A or A* at GCSE for those places so having other options like Bristol is smart those other options are also pretty good unis. So don’t be disappointed if you don’t get in to Oxbirdge you’ll still have a fun time. Good luck with your GCSE and A-levels they are much more important for uni.

Just a bit of clarification, realistically for Oxford you need all A*s at gcse. Cambridge is not so bothered. You just need to meet the minimum GCSEs for them.
Original post by Chi chi5
Just a bit of clarification, realistically for Oxford you need all A*s at gcse. Cambridge is not so bothered. You just need to meet the minimum GCSEs for them.

To clarify further, Cambridge don’t have any GCSE minimum requirements 😂😂
Which undergrad med courses should i apply to with 2610 band 1 ucat (vr-500,dm-700,qr-720,ar-690)? I will be predicted a 2:1. I have AAA in maths chem bio (maths was resat from B).
Original post by GANFYD
To clarify further, Cambridge don’t have any GCSE minimum requirements 😂😂

Lol my bad! I documented that in th spreadsheet as well 😂 sorry guys x
Original post by knight999
Which undergrad med courses should i apply to with 2610 band 1 ucat (vr-500,dm-700,qr-720,ar-690)? I will be predicted a 2:1. I have AAA in maths chem bio (maths was resat from B).

Have you already sat the UCAT? I'd post in this thread with all your stats and we can try and advise https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578

Unfortunately we don't have any grad experts atm AFAIK so the GEM thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126853 and A100 for grads thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6992837 (these are both for 2022 not 2023 but should link to 2023 if it's been made) may have more grad expertise, and spreadsheets! Doing your own research is also always a must :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
Have you already sat the UCAT? I'd post in this thread with all your stats and we can try and advise https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578

Unfortunately we don't have any grad experts atm AFAIK so the GEM thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126853 and A100 for grads thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6992837 (these are both for 2022 not 2023 but should link to 2023 if it's been made) may have more grad expertise, and spreadsheets! Doing your own research is also always a must :smile:

Hey,
thanks for your response:smile: Yes I sat it today. Oh okay sure, hope I won't get told off for double posting:colondollar:
I got grade 5 in English at gcse and the rest were A’s. I am predicted A A*A* for levels and have an extensive work experience for my personal statement. Do I have a chance for medicine?
Thanks guys
Just asking for my friend who is here using my account - thought easier just to ask rather than saying my friend is wondering…he also wants to go into medicine and we just both got our UCAS predicted grades. so does he have a chance? Anyone knows?
Told him that already! Thanks guys for your help
Can I apply to medicine with BBB predicted grades? Do you think any of the unis would even accept or look at my application?
Original post by anonnnn__21
Can I apply to medicine with BBB predicted grades? Do you think any of the unis would even accept or look at my application?

You don’t meet the requirements, so in reality they aren’t going to consider you. They don’t consider a lot of people who actually meet the requirements.
Original post by anonnnn__21

Mintkoala is not quite correct, you can apply since some unis don't look at predicted grades, e.g. BSMS, Keele, a few others. But you would need a very strategic application and would also need to meet GCSE requirements, have a competitive UCAT/BMAT for the uni and, above all, achieve AAA at the end of year 13. If you believe you can get AAA, do some research and go ahead, although you might want to start thinking about your options if you don't get the grades.
Edit; apparently I'm wrong about BSMS, and obviously things might change for 2023 entry so double check on websites.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bea_murray0
Mintokoala is not quite correct, you can apply since some unis don't look at predicted grades, e.g. BSMS, Keele, a few others. But you would need a very strategic application and would also need to meet GCSE requirements, have a competitive UCAT/BMAT for the uni and, above all, achieve AAA at the end of year 13. If you believe you can get AAA, do some research and go ahead, although you might want to start thinking about your options if you don't get the grades.

I can’t find that in the BSMS website. I can find for contextual: ‘For applicants taking, or who have already obtained three A-levels, we require predicted, or achieved grades of at least AAB.’

I can’t find anything that says no predicted grades for non-contextual, and the contextual says you need to be predicted at least 2 A grades.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mintkoala
I can’t find that in the BSMS website. I can find for contextual: ‘For applicants taking, or who have already obtained three A-levels, we require predicted, or achieved grades of at least AAB.’

I can’t find anything that says no predicted grades for non-contextual, and the contextual says you need to be predicted at least 2 A grades.

Hmm maybe it's changed for 2023, I'm fairly sure they didn't look at them for 2022 but could be wrong or getting myself confused with somewhere else! Either way, there are a good few that don't look at predicted grades, it's important to do your research to apply strategically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending