The Student Room Group

I hate my degree, should I thug it out or just give up?

I’ve had a bit of a rough uni experience in general. I started in 2020, so we were all locked in for Covid and I didn’t even actually do my A-level exams so the results I got we’re not reflective at all of what I probably would’ve got had I done the exams . I was even kind of in a rough patch at the time of A-levels so if it weren’t for the pandemic I probably wouldn’t have even gone to the exams so I’m grateful in that sense that I got some A-levels in the end and somehow got into uni. But I just sort of picked a subject that I thought would appease my parents at the time it was pretty much either law or something medical and I kind of enjoyed so psychology class enough and they seemed cool with it so I picked it. If it was really up to me independently, I probably would’ve ended up doing something like philosophy or English literature or I would’ve applied for a conservatoire, or done Music production or something along those lines but I did not have the capacity to fight with my parents, and I didn’t really know what uni was gonna be like so I just chose psychology and thought I could do everything else on the side. But since being in uni, I found that I quite literally hate the subject. There are some parts are very interesting, but interesting in the sense that I could read an article about them or a book or even a study, but just not in an academic capacity. Since I was struggling and not really enjoying in my first year, I spent a lot of that time applying for other things that I could do besides uni, but I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t really think that anything would stick, but then I ended up getting an apprenticeship at the Bbc halfway through second year so I took two years out to complete that and I was able to get an academic break so I could come back to uni and finish my degree afterwards. I’d had some strange stuff happen during first and second year that I thought maybe were contributing factors to my dislike of uni.At first, I kind of just made peace with the prospect of coming back, people kept saying since I started the degree, I might as well finish it and I was enjoying my time working in media I was also able to establish myself in the scene around where I go to uni so I’ve picked up quite a lot of fun and exciting jobs. However, I’ve since returned to uni and it’s starting to feel like more of a curse in a blessing. I knew balancing work and uni wouldn’t be particularly easy, but because I just come back from doing apprenticeship, I figured I was fairly used to working academically and working for money at the same time, but the difference I found is that the things I was studying while doing the apprenticeship where things that I actually cared about not saying that I don’t care about psychology, but like I don’t have any type of burning desire to become someone psychologist or to be any type of psychometric researcher like I want nothing of the sort I want nothing to do with thatand I know that you can kind of do anything with the degree and I low-key still want to get the degree just to be able to have one, but it’s becoming a drag, especially now that I know what it is like to work, full-time and make a living doing something that just doesn’t completely strip your spirit. Like I just think if I didn’t have any of the extra jobs and gigs to do outside of my uni life, I would be oh my God so sad in life and I know it’s only two years but that it’s just feeling like such a long time bro, anyway I’m pretty sure I’m just here to complain because when push comes to shove I have an African family so by fire by force I’m gonna have to get this degree, but I hate it so much and I wish I could just apply for a full-time job instead of staying freelance and keeping these part-time jobs. I just want to be free from the shackles of student life now I’m tired, I wanna go back to going to work What a mess. Anyway I’m done now. I haven’t checked this website since pre-Covid like I’m literally just here to vent. If you’ve read all the way to the end I love you, have a great day please go do whatever work your procrastinating by reading my long-winded whiny message. Xx
Original post by Shaniqua499
I’ve had a bit of a rough uni experience in general. I started in 2020, so we were all locked in for Covid and I didn’t even actually do my A-level exams so the results I got we’re not reflective at all of what I probably would’ve got had I done the exams . I was even kind of in a rough patch at the time of A-levels so if it weren’t for the pandemic I probably wouldn’t have even gone to the exams so I’m grateful in that sense that I got some A-levels in the end and somehow got into uni. But I just sort of picked a subject that I thought would appease my parents at the time it was pretty much either law or something medical and I kind of enjoyed so psychology class enough and they seemed cool with it so I picked it. If it was really up to me independently, I probably would’ve ended up doing something like philosophy or English literature or I would’ve applied for a conservatoire, or done Music production or something along those lines but I did not have the capacity to fight with my parents, and I didn’t really know what uni was gonna be like so I just chose psychology and thought I could do everything else on the side. But since being in uni, I found that I quite literally hate the subject. There are some parts are very interesting, but interesting in the sense that I could read an article about them or a book or even a study, but just not in an academic capacity. Since I was struggling and not really enjoying in my first year, I spent a lot of that time applying for other things that I could do besides uni, but I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t really think that anything would stick, but then I ended up getting an apprenticeship at the Bbc halfway through second year so I took two years out to complete that and I was able to get an academic break so I could come back to uni and finish my degree afterwards. I’d had some strange stuff happen during first and second year that I thought maybe were contributing factors to my dislike of uni.At first, I kind of just made peace with the prospect of coming back, people kept saying since I started the degree, I might as well finish it and I was enjoying my time working in media I was also able to establish myself in the scene around where I go to uni so I’ve picked up quite a lot of fun and exciting jobs. However, I’ve since returned to uni and it’s starting to feel like more of a curse in a blessing. I knew balancing work and uni wouldn’t be particularly easy, but because I just come back from doing apprenticeship, I figured I was fairly used to working academically and working for money at the same time, but the difference I found is that the things I was studying while doing the apprenticeship where things that I actually cared about not saying that I don’t care about psychology, but like I don’t have any type of burning desire to become someone psychologist or to be any type of psychometric researcher like I want nothing of the sort I want nothing to do with thatand I know that you can kind of do anything with the degree and I low-key still want to get the degree just to be able to have one, but it’s becoming a drag, especially now that I know what it is like to work, full-time and make a living doing something that just doesn’t completely strip your spirit. Like I just think if I didn’t have any of the extra jobs and gigs to do outside of my uni life, I would be oh my God so sad in life and I know it’s only two years but that it’s just feeling like such a long time bro, anyway I’m pretty sure I’m just here to complain because when push comes to shove I have an African family so by fire by force I’m gonna have to get this degree, but I hate it so much and I wish I could just apply for a full-time job instead of staying freelance and keeping these part-time jobs. I just want to be free from the shackles of student life now I’m tired, I wanna go back to going to work What a mess. Anyway I’m done now. I haven’t checked this website since pre-Covid like I’m literally just here to vent. If you’ve read all the way to the end I love you, have a great day please go do whatever work your procrastinating by reading my long-winded whiny message. Xx

@Shaniqua499

I think you should talk to your family. I know that there is a lot of pressure to go to university and to get a degree where you are from an African background (I speak from experience) but if you come out with a bad result, you are going to feel like you've wasted your time : (

You've done really well in successfully completing an apprenticeship (!) and it sounds like you have had lots of great job opportunities as a result. It might well be worth continuing to pursue this area if you are getting work and if you can get long-term work/establish a career for yourself. Remember, the goal of a degree is to not just get a degree, but a job and ideally a good paying job. If you're already achieving that, how much more is a degree in a subject that you don't like going to benefit you?

There is the option of switching to another degree, but if you decide to take this route do look into the modules you will do and speak to students or graduates about what it is like to study the subject. On the surface of things, a lot of degrees can look really appealing but depending on how they are taught and assessed, they may be what you expect once you study them e.g. your experience with psychology.

Don't waste time, but do think about your goals long term. If you know that you do want to do a Masters, then you do need a degree and it might be helpful to have a degree in the area that you want to do a Masters in. If you know that you want to work in the media long term and you have the opportunities and contacts now, then it might be best to make the most of the them, when your apprenticeship and skills are still fresh.

Take some time over the holidays to think things through, to get career advice and to talk to those who you know you best (including your family)!

Hope it all comes together,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
I would really recommend using the edit button to add paragraphs because it's very hard to follow through a wall of text like this.

Hi @Shaniqua499

I think a good place to start would be talking to your parents although I accept that isn't necessarily an easy task. I understand that many people think you need to get a degree to succeed. However, you have proven that that simply isn't the case. I think you are very luck to have found a passion and a career that you enjoy! Therefore, I think you should look into pursuing it fully (particularly if you don't even like the subject you study at uni). There will always be the chance to go back to uni later in life if you want and perhaps study a different subject but there seems to be very little benefit to sticking out a course you don't like when you know what you want to do 🙂

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Hi there,

I also came to uni in 2020 so can relate with how difficult it was to start an important chapter of your life in a national lockdown.

I definitely agree with the others about trying to talk to your family about the way you are feeling, they might be able to help or offer some assistance.

Massive congratulations on completing an apprenticeship! That is an amazing achievement so well done. If you enjoyed this it might be worth trying to pursue a job opportunity in this field as you already have some experience of the field!

I really hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
What BBC apprenticeship did you do and what was it like? Im waiting to hear back if I’ve got the production apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending