The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Medical Degree Apprenticeship

Scroll to see replies

Can't work out if HEE is just full of incompetents (Hanlon's razor) or actual Manchurian candidates hellbent on destroying the medical profession from within :hmmmm:
Original post by Medpapa
I am trying to wean myself off social media

Specifically I am trying to avoid myself getting involved in debates with others who clearly will not change their opinions.

It is clear we will not agree so divergent are our views.

I support equality of opportunity strongly such that the we (the U.K. government) train the best quality doctors from the best quality applicants regardless of what background or other characteristics they have.

I do not support equality of outcome where clearly worse candidates are being selected to tick various diversity boxes. In healthcare this is will almost certainly lead to some worse outcomes for some patients.

There are now many studies showing that med students with worse academics on entry to med school on average do worse through out medical school. Selecting more med students with worse academics but the right diversity characteristics has clear implications for patient safety.

You may be comfortable with that.

I am not.

However I’m not going to get into a protracted debate on this for the reasons already stated

I agree and I’ve seen the same studies you have. This is why I actually disagree with the principle of lowering entrance requirements and support the principle of foundation years to improve academics.

However, I would support the principle that when you have to choose between two equally qualified people in terms of academics, you pick the one who adds diversity because the evidence shows that diversity in healthcare improves patient safety. Academic performance alone is not an objective measure or predictor of patient safety.
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
I agree and I’ve seen the same studies you have. This is why I actually disagree with the principle of lowering entrance requirements and support the principle of foundation years to improve academics.

However, I would support the principle that when you have to choose between two equally qualified people in terms of academics, you pick the one who adds diversity because the evidence shows that diversity in healthcare improves patient safety. Academic performance alone is not an objective measure or predictor of patient safety.

You see this is what I’m trying to stop myself doing…….. debating online!!!

I find myself agreeing with your first 2 paragraphs.
Foundation years for those from disadvantaged backgrounds pre med school. That sounds perfect for equality of opportunity while maintaining entry standards.

Academics are however an objective measure that’s the point of exams

And academic performance is also a predictor of clinical acumen which is a predictor for patient safety.
However it is not the sole predictor and the correlation is therefore not 100%.

Anyway I really can’t lose another weekend debating on TSR. I need to stop myself getting drawn into these sort of debates.

So regardless of what you or anyone else write below I must refrain from debating further and go back to offering advice only!!!

I’m sure will be relieved!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Medpapa
You see this is what I’m trying to stop myself doing…….. debating online!!!

I find myself agreeing with your first 2 paragraphs.
Foundation years for those from disadvantaged backgrounds pre med school. That sounds perfect for equality of opportunity while maintaining entry standards.

Academics are however an objective measure that’s the point of exams

And academic performance is also a predictor of clinical acumen which is a predictor for patient safety.
However it is not the sole predictor and the correlation is not 100%.

Anyway I really can’t lose another weekend debating on TSR. I need to stop myself getting drawn into these sort of debates.

So regardless of what you or anyone else write below I must refrain from debating further and go back to offering advice only!!!

I’m sure @ecolier will be relieved!

Healthy debate is healthy.
More information regarding the Medical Degree Apprenticeship (still in draft phases):

Resource pack for trusts looking to implement this https://haso.skillsforhealth.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/20220620-UPDATED-June-2022-Resource-Pack-Medical-Doctor-Degree-Apprenticeship-v5-1.pdf

nhs only funds 27k for course, living costs and rest of tuition to be determined by employer

dbs, occ health, vaccines, statutorymadatory training required

training providers must be from gmc approved list vacancies advertised internally or nhs jobs

Candidates are still interviewed by med schools, who also deal with GMC providing education ie mbbs/equivalent.

Unis still responsible for entry criteria /training but minimum entry requirements are a minimum of level 3 qualifications (undergrad) or a minimum degree in a relevant professional qualification for graduate entry
GSCE requirements (English and Maths 4/C or equivalent)- actual requirements most likely higher

Widening participation factors are: diversity and inclusion characteristics, non-native english speaker; low socio-economic background; refugee/asylum; ex-offenders; armed service leavers; carer/ been supported by LAs; NEET; homeless (former or current); 1st generation to attend higher education; racial minority; traveller; low income; disrupted education; short term illness/disability; familial commitments;

To enable the apprenticeship employer to benefit from their support and investment, the Foundation School to which an apprenticeship graduate could apply for pre- allocation would be that covering the area of the employer. The UKFPO could also be asked to consider the possibility of managing a smaller unit of application (for example, an individual Trust or Integrated Care System) for pre-allocated applicants. An alternative option which employers could consider is to work with the local Foundation School to secure Foundation placements with their graduates where possible

Responsibility for managing placements sits with the medical school. During the Medical Doctor (Degree) apprenticeship, it will be possible for apprentices to rotate placements between employers. The apprentice’s employer continues to pay the apprentices salary and use their levy to pay the medical school.

Can only transfer to another medical apprenticeship program unless special cased

If an apprentice moved to a different part of the country, they would have to find an employer who wanted to take them on as a medical doctor apprentice. If an employer is not available, a university would need to decide whether they could take the medical doctor apprentice on to finish the award as a non-apprentice.

HEE has commissioned Queen Mary University of London to develop a blended learning medical degree programme to support teaching of non-clinical skills in a way that maximises the opportunities to provide a fully interactive and innovative programme through digital approaches. This development is likely to be completed by late 2023, progress updates can be found on the HEE website. With appropriate commissioning, blended learning medical degrees will allow students and apprentices to train flexibly wherever they are in the country. If these degrees are also complimented with medical apprenticeship models, local health economies in hard to recruit areas may be able to build their workforce and potentially reduce existing geographical health inequalities. The Medical Doctor (Degree) apprenticeship standard does not provide direction on how an apprenticeship should be delivered, as it only refers to knowledge, skills and behaviors. It is the responsibility of medical schools to design an apprenticeship programme that meets learning outcomes and provide apprentices with all of the necessary experience and competencies. Examples of work based learning models towards a medical degree already exist, including the University of Edinburgh’s HCP-Med programme provides a route for experienced healthcare professionals in Scotland to become doctors.
Original post by quasa
minimum degree in a relevant professional qualification for graduate entry
GSCE requirements (English and Maths 4/C or equivalent)- actual requirements most likely higher

What is considered a relevant professional qualification? I was intending of applying for a random science related masters (I have a 2:2 BSc, graduated 2012) to compensate for my 2:2 before applying for Nottinghams GEM but the cost has ultimately thrown me off as I support myself and my family. I have worked as a healthcare assistant for the last 10 years.

However, if there is a professional qualification I can study for between now and the first intake of students for this apprenticeship - I would be willing to make the sacrifice as the job security is far greater than the role I currently hold (where I have been stationary and on almost the same salary for 10 years with minimum job satisfaction and losing all my skills, I once held).
Hi ecolier just wanted to know your thoughts on the new medicine degree apprenticeship coming in 2023
Okay I’ll try find it thanks
Original post by adamsfamily
What is considered a relevant professional qualification? I was intending of applying for a random science related masters (I have a 2:2 BSc, graduated 2012) to compensate for my 2:2 before applying for Nottinghams GEM but the cost has ultimately thrown me off as I support myself and my family. I have worked as a healthcare assistant for the last 10 years.

However, if there is a professional qualification I can study for between now and the first intake of students for this apprenticeship - I would be willing to make the sacrifice as the job security is far greater than the role I currently hold (where I have been stationary and on almost the same salary for 10 years with minimum job satisfaction and losing all my skills, I once held).

I would guess something like nursing, pharmacy, other AHP fields etc, but this is all very preliminary so who knows what it will come out to be when the apprenticeships go live!
What’s actually going on with it,
I know it’s just been approved. But there’s a load of speculation, around wether it’s gonna have conditions I.e only can work in the UK etc.
but nobody really seems to know about It in any real detail. Do any of you have more information?
Thank you! I’ve been looking for another thread about this!
Does anyone have any more info on this
Reply 72
I’ve been looking at this and it looks to be an apprenticeship aimed for widening participation, what I think they’ll do is take applicants from the same geographic area of the employer and university who meet entry and eligibility criteria in order to widen participation which sounds great I guess
Reply 73
Entry requirements have been said to look at GCSEs and A-level grades however there is no mention of UCAT or BMAT, they could be using no entrance exam or a different one maybe like Casper, note they have Sadie interviews will be part of the application process
(edited 1 year ago)
What does everyone think the expected recruitment timeline for the apprenticeship would be? If it followed the same path as the standard medicine degree where you have to apply a year in advance, wouldn't that mean recruitment would be open soon if they're planning in taking the first cohort in Sept 2023?
Original post by Medpapa
Ok

Personally I would like any physician treating me to be academically strong which makes it more likely that their clinical acumen will be as well.
Even the best clinicians will make errors in their career. Decreasing the academic requirements will almost certainly increase this.

I really couldn’t care less what my treating physicians background, gender, race or religion is.
Bedside manner / empathy are also optional.
I care about one thing.

Their clinical ability

I believe most patients would echo this.

How have we got to a stage where it is thought the most important thing is to be treated by someone from the same background as you and not the best physician that could be trained. (Rhetorical question)

The vast majority of patients do not select their physician / surgeon based on their backgrounds being similar.

Have you actually been a patient?? I am a patient with a chronic illness and I can tell you that bedside manner / empathy are very much linked with clinical ability. Doctors who cannot communicate effectively with their patients and in return get their patients to communicate can do great harm. I had a life threatening misdiagnosis due to a doctor just dismissing my concerns and making me feel shut out of the NHS. And as a patient who talks to other patients while we wait, I can tell you many patients prefer the doctors that treat them as humans not tasks, with compassion, kindness, empathy AND are clinically competent. It is not people skills or clinical skills, it is both.

If you go on support forums for diseases you will see many other patients who have experienced situations where doctors wouldn't listen, wouldn't support them, and closed the communication so the patients don't go back. If patients don't feel comfortable to go back, it can be detrimental to their health and lead to poorer outcomes.

And recently I had an anaesthetist who made me think I was going to die during my surgery because when I asked if I was going to be given my IV steroids he told me NO, and glared at me, because he couldn't be bothered to use the words to say he was using a different steroid that would do the same job... I clearly didn't die, he did his clinical role just fine but I had a very unnecessarily stressful experience. People skills matter.

I didn't go back far enough to see why you have said that we are getting to the point of the most important thing is doctors being from the same background as the patients, because that is not what is happening with this apprenticeship. I am presuming this apprenticeship will still have very specific academic requirements, in-line with medical schools as it has stated. And graduates should still have met the competencies like those graduating medical schools.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KMaisey
Have you been a patient?? I am a patient with a chronic illness and I can tell you that bedside manner / empathy are very much linked with clinical ability. Doctors who cannot communicate effectively with their patients and in return get their patients to communicate can do great harm. And as a patient who talks to other patients, I can tell you patients prefer the doctors that treat them as humans not tasks, with compassion, kindness and empathy AND are clinically competent. It is not people skills or clinical skills, it is both.

If you go on support forums for diseases you will see many other patients who have experienced situations where doctors wouldn't listen, wouldn't support them, and closed the communication so the patients don't go back. If patients don't feel comfortable to go back, it can be detrimental to their health and lead to poorer outcomes.

And recently I had an anaesthetist who made me think I was going to die during my surgery because when I asked if I was going to be given my IV steroids he told me NO, and glared at me, because he couldn't be bothered to use the words to say he was using a different steroid that would do the same job... I clearly didn't die, he did his clinical role just fine but I had a very unnecessarily stressful experience. People skills matter.

I didn't go back far enough to see why you have said that we are getting to the point of the most important thing is doctors being from the same background as the patients, because that is not what is happening with this apprenticeship. This apprenticeship will still have very specific academic requirements, in-line with medical schools. And graduates should still have met the competencies like those graduating medical schools.

🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️
Original post by Medpapa
🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

I really don't know what that is meant to mean.

You said patients would echo that only clinical ability matters but I know so many patients who would disagree. The people skills and communication skills do matter as well.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KMaisey
Have you actually been a patient?? I am a patient with a chronic illness and I can tell you that bedside manner / empathy are very much linked with clinical ability. Doctors who cannot communicate effectively with their patients and in return get their patients to communicate can do great harm. I had a life threatening misdiagnosis due to a doctor just dismissing my concerns and making me feel shut out of the NHS. And as a patient who talks to other patients while we wait, I can tell you many patients prefer the doctors that treat them as humans not tasks, with compassion, kindness, empathy AND are clinically competent. It is not people skills or clinical skills, it is both.

I didn't go back far enough to see why you have said that we are getting to the point of the most important thing is doctors being from the same background as the patients, because that is not what is happening with this apprenticeship. I am presuming this apprenticeship will still have very specific academic requirements, in-line with medical schools as it has stated. And graduates should still have met the competencies like those graduating medical schools.

I cannot stress enough how very very true everything you said here is. Like, 100%. The issue of some arrogant doctors dismissing patient concerns for no valid clinical reason, with a you-know-nothing attitude, is a recurrent one. Not all doctors are like this, of course, but it just take 1 negative experience to dramatically impact a patient’s outcome (see the article referred to, below). In the NHS Dept where I work, we regularly see patients feeling being shut out by this or that Consultant, and simply decide not to come back because they feel belittled, dismissed, disrespected. The accountability of some arrogant doctors is virtually nil, as the mechanism is highly inefficient. Low-level staff like me have no power to change anything: consultants can just “spit at us with a single look, without saying any word”: we are just nobodies to them.

Recently there was an article in The Guardian , from the Mother of a patient who died:
‘We had such trust, we feel such fools’: how shocking hospital mistakes led to our daughter’s death, by Merope Mills

and it’s not just Consultants. Same thing goes with junior doctors, on a regular basis. See the example screenshots below of a public heated exchange on the much-debated advanced nurse practitioner vs junior doctor debate. Whoever is right or wrong, the tone of the Junior doctor’s comment, Dr Arjan Singh, was definitely not helpful. A registered Nurse, SRN Branderth-Jones, points out the arrogance of his words (The discussion was public and on Twitter so I hope it’s not a problem that I show it here, attached. I left the name so that anyone can verify and make an opinion for him/her-self)

There could be additional reasons at play: recently The Guardian, in an article about the financial difficulties of medical students, pointed out to a study published by LSE in 2017, showing that only 6% of doctors come from a working-class background, and almost 79% come from much wealthier and often privately educated layers of society. And I think the attitude problem probably stems from those private school and the elitism *some of them* promote, rather than Medical School itself.

Finally, to conclude, I’ll say that you’re right when saying that the academic requirements for an apprenticeship will indeed be met. My NHS Trust is one of those involved in the design of this apprenticeship and when I asked them about it, they confirmed me that it will include an actual medical degree, both as regular pathway and GEM-like pathway
(edited 1 year ago)
In case I’m allowed to post link, the article from the patient’s Mom is here:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/03/13-year-old-daughter-dead-in-five-weeks-hospital-mistakes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending