The Student Room Group

Preparing for STEP

Hi everyone. So I'm in year 12 going into year 13 and will be applying to study maths at Cambridge.

I've begun preparing for STEP by doing the foundation modules and starting to try questions from papers. I know about the Stephen Siklos book and the other assignments and past papers, which I'll most likely cover over the course of the next year, but are there any other resources/tips on how to prepare for STEP that people would recommend?
Original post by AMath_
Hi everyone. So I'm in year 12 going into year 13 and will be applying to study maths at Cambridge.

I've begun preparing for STEP by doing the foundation modules and starting to try questions from papers. I know about the Stephen Siklos book and the other assignments and past papers, which I'll most likely cover over the course of the next year, but are there any other resources/tips on how to prepare for STEP that people would recommend?

Obviously, the foundation modules, Siklos book, and past papers are the most important things.
Without listing all the usual suspects (related mat, tmua, ukmt... resources) is there anything you particularly have problems with?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Obviously, the foundation modules, Siklos book, and past papers are the most important things.
Without listing all the usual suspects (related mat, tmua, ukmt... resources) is there anything you particularly have problems with?

Whilst I do have those resources and I'm 'doing' those resources, I'm kinda unsure if what I'm doing is right. So for most of the foundation modules I got through them fine, some the STEP question I got stuck on and needed time or hints. Similarly, with other STEP questions atm, I can do a considerable amount of the question but can still end up getting stuck. I'm reluctant to look at the answers, but I'm not sure as to exactly what I should be doing either to not be so 'stuck' or to 'revise' more effectively with the use of these resources.
Original post by AMath_
Whilst I do have those resources and I'm 'doing' those resources, I'm kinda unsure if what I'm doing is right. So for most of the foundation modules I got through them fine, some the STEP question I got stuck on and needed time or hints. Similarly, with other STEP questions atm, I can do a considerable amount of the question but can still end up getting stuck. I'm reluctant to look at the answers, but I'm not sure as to exactly what I should be doing either to not be so 'stuck' or to 'revise' more effectively with the use of these resources.

Assuming youve done most of the foundation modules, a fair number of people would start hitting the step exam questions ~Christmas. Transitioning up to step exam questions isn't generally straightforward and needing time/the odd hint while youre practicing is normal. If youre starting now, youve probably got time on your side and you could probably do some of the other (related) papers/exams like mat/tmua/aea/ukmt/step1 simply for practice (for you to skill up) up as well as some background reading. Obviously, the different exams are only partially aligned, but getting some practice with problem solving, algebra, ... on harder problems is rarely wasted. That would leave the actual step papers to focus on closer to the exam, though you will need to be aware of the differences in the syllabus.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AMath_

Hi,
How do you feel now, are you confident in right track? If so, how do you achieve that? I have similar questions like you now.
Reply 5
Hi, I'd love to help out with any questions you have. Since this post, I've got an offer from Cambridge and am preparing for STEP. What's your situation at the moment?
Reply 6
I am practicing the problem of STEP 2, and will begin to study further math in May. I am concerned about my speed, on average, I am only able to complete 2 full problems and two partials ones within three hours. How about you?
Reply 7
Original post by GDC2022
I am practicing the problem of STEP 2, and will begin to study further math in May. I am concerned about my speed, on average, I am only able to complete 2 full problems and two partials ones within three hours. How about you?

So are you in year 12 at the moment? If so I think that's really good. Atm I'm able to attempt 6 questions and maybe get 2-4 right and the rest partial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending