The Student Room Group

Official US Universities Applicants Thread 2023

Hey everyone!

CommonApp opened today for the next applications cycle, so here's a place to discuss where you applied early, and/or where you'll be applying in the regular round!

Even after applications are due, this can be a great place to talk to others and get support regarding decision release, choosing the right university to attend, and maybe even meeting somebody else in the same class as you!

Here's some pointers to get you started:

1. What is your intended major, if you know?
2. Did you apply anywhere early, if so, where?
3. Where are you applying in the regular round?
4. How have you found the US application process?
5. Anything else you wanna talk about?
Good luck for everyone, I apply for the postgraduate though...
Hi could someone help me with the application?

I'm currently on courses & grade, and am trying to input my GCSE grades into Grade 11 box, however whenever I put in my grade for that specified subject it asks for its credit.

Does anybody know what I should put in this box?
Is early decision internationally binding? If I was accepted to a US college ED, would I be obliged to also attend that college over other UK universities
Original post by Anonymous
Is early decision internationally binding? If I was accepted to a US college ED, would I be obliged to also attend that college over other UK universities

Yep! ED is totally binding, unless you can't go because of not being offered enough financial aid.
Hi could someone help me with the application?

I'm currently on courses & grade, and am trying to input my GCSE grades into Grade 11 box, however whenever I put in my grade for that specified subject it asks for its credit.

Does anybody know what I should put in this box?

Normally there should be a N/A button which let's you be exempt from putting credits in.

Also this link:
https://www.fulbright.org.uk/media/3189/edusa-student-common-application-guide-web2.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
was anyone accepted in the early round
Reply 7
I was accepted by Georgia Tech but haven't committed yet, wbu?
Original post by H_K_05
I was accepted by Georgia Tech but haven't committed yet, wbu?

Congratulations on Georgia Tech. I only applied RD but i wanted to see how others did. Can i ask what your stats were in terms of predicted grades etc.
Just got my NYU Stern acceptance from ED2!
Original post by ReneeS22
Just got my NYU Stern acceptance from ED2!

Congrats!
Good luck to everyone! MIT decisions come out in a few hours; I've accepted I'm not getting in (lots of Googling average applicant stats/ECs has enlightened me about just how competitive the international student pool is), but I'd be lying if I said my heart still wasn't hoping. Nevertheless, I was happy with my interview and it was a jolly good experience, so I think I'm glad I gave it a shot even though I know that getting a positive outcome - at least, from MIT - is really unlikely. Hoping, but not hopeful! I'm feeling a weird mix of optimism and realism right now...
I felt the same before I got my ED2 decision. But you never really know. This application process is very unpredictable and you never know what to expect. I got 3 rejections/deferrals before I got my acceptance and the school I ended up getting into had a 7% acceptance rate, a lower rate than all the schools I got rejected from! Stay positive!
Original post by aurelius216
Good luck to everyone! MIT decisions come out in a few hours; I've accepted I'm not getting in (lots of Googling average applicant stats/ECs has enlightened me about just how competitive the international student pool is), but I'd be lying if I said my heart still wasn't hoping. Nevertheless, I was happy with my interview and it was a jolly good experience, so I think I'm glad I gave it a shot even though I know that getting a positive outcome - at least, from MIT - is really unlikely. Hoping, but not hopeful! I'm feeling a weird mix of optimism and realism right now...
Wow, congratulations! I didn't get into MIT, but I'm staying hopeful for my other decisions.

Original post by ReneeS22
I felt the same before I got my ED2 decision. But you never really know. This application process is very unpredictable and you never know what to expect. I got 3 rejections/deferrals before I got my acceptance and the school I ended up getting into had a 7% acceptance rate, a lower rate than all the schools I got rejected from! Stay positive!
How are ppl feeling about Ivy Day and which ones have you applied to? I've applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia.
How are ppl feeling about Ivy Day and which ones have you applied to? I've applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia.

How did Ivy Day go for you?
Original post by studyomi
How did Ivy Day go for you?

Not very well.
I ended up getting into Columbia! Waitlisted at Yale, Princeton, and Stanford, so we'll see for those, but it's an extremely competitive lottery so I don't think they'll end up taking me. Either way, as a state school applicant from an ordinary background I'm really happy with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending