The Student Room Group

Exercises that won’t grow calves?

Hi! I’m wanting to get more active and increase my stamina but I have really big calves and I don’t want to bulk them up anymore. Are the any exercises I can do that won’t build calf muscle? I wanted to start running but I read that’ll make them bigger... Thanks for any help!
maybe short sprints would bulk calves but long distance runners are pretty lean on the whole
Original post by ReadingMum
maybe short sprints would bulk calves but long distance runners are pretty lean on the whole

Thanks! How far would you say I’d need to run for it to count as long distance? (Sorry I’m new to fitness lol)
Anything from 5k up. Take a look at the footage of Eilish McColgan winning 10K gold medal yesterday- no bulk there at all
Just about any movement won't, as very few people have actually big muscular calves. It tends to be where people store fat instead.
Original post by ReadingMum
Anything from 5k up. Take a look at the footage of Eilish McColgan winning 10K gold medal yesterday- no bulk there at all

Thanks! I’m extremely unfit though so I may not be running 5k immediately haha
Original post by Angry cucumber
Just about any movement won't, as very few people have actually big muscular calves. It tends to be where people store fat instead.

Thing is I’m skinny and have huge calves? When I feel my legs I don’t feel any fat and my muscles seem huge. I don’t do any exercise (bad I know) and I’m worried about doing exercise and making my calves even bigger😭I used to walk on my toes as a kid and I think that’s what made them big

Quick Reply

Latest