The Student Room Group

Sanjeev Mansotra | Ways to Stay Fit and Toned Without Going to the Gym?

Hello, my name is Sanjeev Mansotra I recently met with an accident in the gym. I got a back injury, so doctors suggested taking a break from the gym at least for 6 months. Please help me by giving tips on how can I stay fit without going to the gym. What routine should I follow? What diet should I take?
Reply 1
Original post by sanjeevmansotra
Hello, my name is Sanjeev Mansotra I recently met with an accident in the gym. I got a back injury, so doctors suggested taking a break from the gym at least for 6 months. Please help me by giving tips on how can I stay fit without going to the gym. What routine should I follow? What diet should I take?

Hiya.
First off I'm not a medical professional, nor am I a coach, so take what I say with a grain of salt and definitely follow what your doctors tell you to. Do not ignore their advice, they know what they're talking about. You DO NOT WANT to damage your back more than you already did.

I don't know exactly what your back injury is and how severe that is. In the most severe cases you should definitely stay put and avoid any exercise that apply any stress to your back (again, listen to your doctors mate).

Just applying common sense, to stay fit you simply just need to stay at your maintenance calorie intake (regardless of what your diet is) and move around just enough to stay healthy until you have fully recovered - that can be as simple as walking for at least half an hour a day. Simple walking mate, no jogging or whatever. If you don't have a place to have some pleasant regular walks then just normal walking pace on an elliptical is also good. To be completely honest, if you just stay at your maintenance calorie you won't lose your shape even without exercising much, especially not in 6 months.

Also, just for an example - I have a long term lower back injury so I can still do vast majority of exercises in the gym, with the exception of hyper extensions, bent over rows, dead lifts, or anything else that suggests that I have to put a big weight on my back. Which means I can still do quite a lot without applying any strain to my lower back and keep growing muscle no problem.

Also, remember that being fit is not a 6 or 12 months goal. it's a life style. Taking a 6 months break from regular exercise is nothing in the long term perspective. Stay healthy bro and speedy recovery to you 👍️
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you for your suggestions

Quick Reply

Latest