The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Physicians Associate January 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by molitirion
Hi - I am a current Aberdeen PA student. if you got in and you want any advice feel free to private message me :smile:

Hi. Hope you're doing good. I have accepted the offer about 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting upon CAS letter which I will be needing for applying to the VISA. Do you by any chance know how long does the university take to release the CAS? My unconditional offer said the course starts from Jan 9th 2023. The date is approaching and the visa takes time to process as well. So I'm a lil worried if I have enough time for all of this. Please let me know if you have any info. Thanks a lot.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. Hope you're doing good. I have accepted the offer about 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting upon CAS letter which I will be needing for applying to the VISA. Do you by any chance know how long does the university take to release the CAS? My unconditional offer said the course starts from Jan 9th 2023. The date is approaching and the visa takes time to process as well. So I'm a lil worried if I have enough time for all of this. Please let me know if you have any info. Thanks a lot.

Hiya - I'm not an international student so I don't know loads about these things, but if you email the uni they might give you some answers. Aberdeen in my experience can be quite delayed on these kinds of things. I think a lot of the lectures are still online, so you should still be able to start the course even if you aren't able to move here on time - which I think has happened in the past for international students. Hope that helps x
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi all, just wanted to step in to clarify a few things. If you are looking to get an update on your application for this course the best thing would be to contact the Medical Admissions office directly by emailing [email protected] to allow them to give you some clear information on this.

We really cannot say exactly how long your CAS will take to be issued, but please know that we are working our hardest to get them out to our offer holders. You can check you have provided all the details we need from you here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/international/certificate-of-acceptance-of-studies-cas-2020.php

Unfortunately, we do not offer an option for starting the course online if you aren’t able to get here on time for registration. This is due to a hard line set by the UK government and not anything we can alter. If you are going to email the above address you can also ask them for some more details about registration too.

I hope this is helpful, let us know if you need any more help!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Original post by molitirion

(Original post by molitirion)Hi - I am a current Aberdeen PA student. if you got in and you want any advice feel free to private message me :smile:

Hey, I accepted my offer for PA, I have few questions about the course. When do we start placement in first year? Do we need stethoscope? If so Do we have to buy our own one or will it be provided by the university?. And will we have lectures 5 days/ week?
Hey, I accepted my offer for PA, I have few questions about the course. When do we start placement in first year? Do we need stethoscope? If so Do we have to buy our own one or will it be provided by the university?. And will we have lectures 5 days/ week?

Congratulations! I got my stethoscope for christmas before I started. they recommend a littman, but I got a cheaper one from a company called MDF instruments which has done the job. you don't need it yet really, as you don't start placement til November of first year, and they will provide them in classes til then, but its nice to have it. They don't give them to you. Lectures wise that's a hard question to answer as for the last 3 years it's changed a lot with covid situations. As far as I know, a lot of it is still online self learning Lecture recordings, with classes in person as well. Its a pretty heavy workload, but it's definitely possible to arrange it for a 5 day week if you need your weekends. Please feel free to message me privately. I can provide you with an email address for me if you have more questions.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. First of all, thanks and congratulations on accepting your offer. For your first questions about the placement and stethoscope, I think it would be best for you to contact [email protected] who will be able to get you some more details.

As for the classes, it can certainly vary how many days a week you will need to be in. For courses like this one we do tend to say that they can be quite class heavy and so would prepare for it to be a course that involves studying for at least a few days a week. What you could do is use the modules listed for the course (in the 'What You'll Study' section here https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/degree-programmes/242/physician-associate-studies/#year_1) and search in our course catalogue (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/courses/search) where you will be able to see draft timetables for some courses and see how many days a week they typically involve.

I would also like to note that our classes are back to being in person, so the learning experience is able to be a lot more personal and hands on. We know this is an important thing to consider so I hope that knowing that helps.

Would say to contact the above address with your other questions, but hope this has helped!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Hi, thank you so much for the clarification. I was also wondering if we will be receiving NHS bursary for this course.
Hi, thank you so much for the clarification. I was also wondering if we will be receiving NHS bursary for this course.

Glad it was helpful! Apologies for the delay as we have only just reopened from the winter break today. Unfortunately I'd have to say you'll need to direct that question towards the [email protected] email address for some more clarity. If you can let them know if there is a specific bursary you are referring to that would be most helpful.

If you have more specific questions I would say to direct them to that address, but if you would like to discuss the uni or talk to fellow applicants feel free to keep posting here!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Hiya - unfortunately the finance available is the generic postgraduate masters loans. there used to be bursaries within certain health boards if you went there on placement, on the condition that you worked there after graduation. Maybe that will be something that they will reintroduce post covid, but at the moment it's not a thing. People on my course, including me, have worked alongside, but it can be pretty tricky. especially in second year as you're pretty much full time 'working' on placement, 37h a week.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending