The Student Room Group

PA or Doctor at 25?

Hello everyone,

I want to preface this post by saying: PLEASE NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS. I AM LOOKING FOR ADVICE ONLY.

Some background about me. I am 25 years old, have a dog and a long-term partner.

I graduated with a Bachelor in Genetics in June 2023. I currently hold an offer to start physician associate studies at the University of Aberdeen.

As January is coming closer and closer I'm finding myself wondering if I should be doing medicine instead of PA due to a variety of reasons.

My question is: at 25, am I too old to start medicine, especially with me being so settled down with a dog and partner?

Looking for similar people with similar stories, advice etc.
I think the question if you're too old is really dependent on you! In general I don't think that's an unusual age to be going into GEM and then a career in medicine. However, obviously if you have a long term partner, dog, if you own a house or similar, then those are factors to consider. As the rotational training model of medicine in the UK means it's very likely you'll need to move around while in training and you will have shift work to do at least for a time at least as a foundation doctor.

That said, I gather people can and do make that work. Whether you think you can, or whether you think it's worth it, will be a very personal decision ultimately :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending