The Student Room Group

Revising without feeling burnt out?

I have been trying to revise but after like 2 hours of revision I get drained when it comes to revising for my next subject. I take 30 minute breaks in between. What do i do? Should i revise less hours per subject or? I take 3 A-Levels. But i do feel like my first 2 hours of revision are very productive.
Original post by ja1izo
I have been trying to revise but after like 2 hours of revision I get drained when it comes to revising for my next subject. I take 30 minute breaks in between. What do i do? Should i revise less hours per subject or? I take 3 A-Levels. But i do feel like my first 2 hours of revision are very productive.

Hi @ja1izo

Revising endlessly can be just as bad as not revising at all - especially as you start to feel burnt out. It sounds like your first two hours are productive - is that dedicated to just one subject? Maybe you could split this time between two? But I personally like to focus on a subject in depth, so maybe sticking to the one per 2 hours is working well for you.

Taking breaks is great! But make sure you're actually resting, or at least distracting your brain. Watch a tv show, tidy your room, go for a walk, meet friends - I'm sure you know the drill. Try to avoid scrolling on your phone on breaks, I found this made me feel tired and bored so I never wanted to go back to revising. Fresh air is always good, and take yourself fully away from your revision space if you can. If you're revising in your room and you stay there all day, you're probably going to feel fed up from being in the same space.

You might not have to reduce your revision, but spacing out sessions could help. If the two hour mark is when you start to feel yourself slacking, then definitely go do something else for a bit. I also found it helpful when revising to set myself some boundaries, like I would try not to revise after 8pm as this is when I should be winding down for the day - and get some well deserved sleep! So make sure you're taking care of yourself to avoid burn out.

Good luck with your revision!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
hiii! thanks for replying this is really helpful! yes i revise only one subject for 2 hours but i don’t wanna read prioritise one subject you know. me too! i like to focus in depth too :smile:

i am trying to revise consistently everyday until my first alevel exam in mid may in hope of achieving AAA. how many hours should i do?
Original post by ja1izo
hiii! thanks for replying this is really helpful! yes i revise only one subject for 2 hours but i don’t wanna read prioritise one subject you know. me too! i like to focus in depth too :smile:

i am trying to revise consistently everyday until my first alevel exam in mid may in hope of achieving AAA. how many hours should i do?

Hi @ja1izo

Glad I could help! Prioritizing subjects is okay, and naturally you'll have slightly weaker subjects and stronger ones, so if you find yourself focusing more on one, that's okay.

Consistency is key with revision, so I would suggest little and often, especially if you want to achieve A grades. Keep revising at a steady pace, maybe prioritize your weaker areas first. It's really hard to put an exact time length on it, but so long as you're revisiting each subjects every week, you should make steady progress. I found the best thing to get my grades up to As was to do past exam questions across all of my subjects. Then you can learn the format of the exam, look over past mark schemes and get to grips with answering different questions.

Best of luck!
Emily 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest