The Student Room Group

Official: University of Bristol A100 2023 Entry Applicant thread

Welcome to the University of Bristol A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

Bristol A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7059063

Offer Holder Thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...1#post98180321

For general information click: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...e/mb-medicine/

For entry requirements click: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...0/medicine.pdf

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know if the Bristol interviews will be online or in-person this year ? Thanks.
Original post by oliro
Does anyone know if the Bristol interviews will be online or in-person this year ? Thanks.

They will be online for the foreseeable future.
Reply 3
Hi ,
Got 2810 band 1 UCAT. Thoughts on if applying for Bristol this year is worth it?
Reply 4
Original post by Zain.m2
Hi ,
Got 2810 band 1 UCAT. Thoughts on if applying for Bristol this year is worth it?

Cut off was 2870 for 2022 entry and 2830 the year before, so depends if you think it will drop?
Reply 5
I’m not too sure what contributes to whether it drops or not - a good way to see would be to wait for the ucat deciles to be published this year right ? And if their lower than last year then surely the uni cut offs will be lower too.

Original post by GANFYD
Cut off was 2870 for 2022 entry and 2830 the year before, so depends if you think it will drop?
Reply 6
Original post by Zain.m2
I’m not too sure what contributes to whether it drops or not - a good way to see would be to wait for the ucat deciles to be published this year right ? And if their lower than last year then surely the uni cut offs will be lower too.

Not necessarily? If more people sit the UCAT, there may still be more people with the same score, even if deciles drop? Last year there were about 3723 people in each decile (so with a UCAT of >2850). If there are a lot less than that this year, it may drop.
The biggest factor in a cut off is likely to be how many people are interviewed - interview more, lower cut off, interview fewer, it will go up. So maybe try contacting Bristol and asking them how many they interviewed last year and what the plans are for this year? It is the sort of info that is often given out at open days
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
Not necessarily? If more people sit the UCAT, there may still be more people with the same score, even if deciles drop? Last year there were about 3723 people in each decile (so with a UCAT of >2850). If there are a lot less than that this year, it may drop.
The biggest factor in a cut off is likely to be how many people are interviewed - interview more, lower cut off, interview fewer, it will go up. So maybe try contacting Bristol and asking them how many they interviewed last year and what the plans are for this year? It is the sort of info that is often given out at open days

Thank you for the help - as you advised I have emailed to ask about the number of interviews this year. And I also checked the deciles for 2021 and 2020 and they were the same for 9th decile. But obviously the score required for a Bristol interview was more in 2021 because of extra 3000 test takers. Do you think there will be any substantial difference in the number of test takers this year ?
Reply 8
Original post by Zain.m2
Thank you for the help - as you advised I have emailed to ask about the number of interviews this year. And I also checked the deciles for 2021 and 2020 and they were the same for 9th decile. But obviously the score required for a Bristol interview was more in 2021 because of extra 3000 test takers. Do you think there will be any substantial difference in the number of test takers this year ?

Who knows? All the extra As and A*s about have led to more people considering it, but it has to peak somewhere!
Reply 9
Original post by Zain.m2

Did they email you back?
Reply 10
Original post by GANFYD

Wouldnt that just mean alot more people wouldnt apply to bristol as the cut off for last year was so high
so hypothetically it would go down?
Unfortunately they didnt :frown:
Original post by AKZ1
Wouldnt that just mean alot more people wouldnt apply to bristol as the cut off for last year was so high

Makes sense i guess - i hope so lol
Reply 13
Original post by Zain.m2
Makes sense i guess - i hope so lol

I got 2790 in my UCAT
do u think it is risky applying?
Original post by AKZ1

3723 people got more than 2850 at UCAT last year. I think Bristol interview around 1000. I suspect a lot of people around 2870-2900 may avoid it, it depends how many of those with >2900 apply?
I got 2820 at UCAT but I am eligible for 2 contextual statements (which may go up to 3 if I do Next Step Bristol) does this decrease the UCAT needed (like NCL Partners) or not? All the websites say is guaranteed contextual offer (which is probably an interview instead for A100)
Hi I have UCAT score of 3000 and band 1. For international students the UCAT cut off was 2920 in 2022 so will it be safe to apply here? I'm planning to apply to 2 very competitive unis, so I need to make sure that I'm on the safe side in terms of UCAT.
Original post by whitespider
Hi I have UCAT score of 3000 and band 1. For international students the UCAT cut off was 2920 in 2022 so will it be safe to apply here? I'm planning to apply to 2 very competitive unis, so I need to make sure that I'm on the safe side in terms of UCAT.

Well if last year's cut-off was 2920 (around 2890 the years before), then probably, but it's never ‘safe’ when applying for medicine, especially when applying overseas because there are so few places.
People are saying that they think that high UCAT unis cut-offs will go down (like Bristol); however, when looking at the interim results, the 9th decile is very high compared to the previous interim results (30 higher than last year). Surely this will increase the cutoffs for the high UCAT universities?
That’s what I think too - when are final UCAT statistics released

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending