The Student Room Group

Psychology v Law

Hi I’m currently accepted on both Law and Psychology with Counselling. I just cannot decide which to go with. My background is mainly psychology and mental health based, however, as I’ve gotten older I feel more pulled towards a career in law as I have had experience of the system over the last few years which has increased my interest. My question, has anyone been in this position? And what have you chosen? Does anyone at all have an insight into this scenario or recommendations? Anything at all will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Hi. I was in a similar situation as you. I did Law and Psychology for my A-Levels. It was hard to chose which path to go down, because my uncle was a mental health nursing officer and my cousin is a solicitor. I’m now going to university and I could not decide which path to go down. But now the university I’m going to does a course that combines both. Maybe have a look into the type of careers you want to do, have a look at course that you might enjoy doing. Also, maybe got some career advice from your school/college or even have a look at university that might do the too subjects combined and even contact their career advice clinic for some advice. I hope this helps you.
I’m not sure about law, but I know for a psychology and counselling undergraduate degree you will require more training to get a job in either career. To be a psychologist you’ll have to undertake a 3 year doctorate (competitive) and for counselling you’ll either be accredited to BACP or UKCP. BACP is usually shorter and is the path I’m taking- you need to do a bacp accredited course that will allow you to register + gain a lot of client hours before being accredited. Getting a decent job in counselling takes a lot of time and work and money (Check BACP accreditation requirements). I feel as though a career in law is similarly long. Ultimately, its about your passion. Think long term about the job you want, what the job entails day to day - what can you see yourself enjoying. The reason I was drawn to counselling/psychotherapy was the flexibility, the different working environments (at home, schools, nhs), the career progression (e.g. Further courses in talking therapies). For me, this was worth the long route it will take to get there. Hope this helps! I’ve done a lot of research into where my psychology and counselling degree can take me so if you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Original post by Beckibecks
Hi I’m currently accepted on both Law and Psychology with Counselling. I just cannot decide which to go with. My background is mainly psychology and mental health based, however, as I’ve gotten older I feel more pulled towards a career in law as I have had experience of the system over the last few years which has increased my interest. My question, has anyone been in this position? And what have you chosen? Does anyone at all have an insight into this scenario or recommendations? Anything at all will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Don't forget that 1-year full time (2-3 years part time) conversion courses for law and for psychology exist, so no matter which you choose it doesn't prevent study in the other in future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending