The Student Room Group

Official: Brighton and Sussex (BSMS) A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daryl11
Thank you so much! How’s your bmat prep going ? I’m sure you’re going to smash it too !!!

Aww thank you!!:h: It's happening but a bit worried about S3 but hopefully, it'll be ok!:s-smilie:
Original post by Jessi2004
Aww thank you!!:h: It's happening but a bit worried about S3 but hopefully, it'll be ok!:s-smilie:

Yeah same. Did you do the bmat last year ? I got 5,5.7 and 3.5 A which I believe was good enough for Brighton last year so I’m hoping to kinda get similar scores
Original post by daryl11
Yeah same. Did you do the bmat last year ? I got 5,5.7 and 3.5 A which I believe was good enough for Brighton last year so I’m hoping to kinda get similar scores

Wow, you did so well!! That would have deffo got you an interview with them last year! Well done!! :h:

I did terribly- S1 destroyed my chances :s-smilie:
I think I got 3.8, 5.2, 3A so it was a pretty close call but not enough. I'm WP this year ( I don't think I was eligible last year) so a bit more prep will hopefully get me an interview!🤞

Do you have any tips for S3 please?:colondollar:
Original post by Jessi2004
Wow, you did so well!! That would have deffo got you an interview with them last year! Well done!! :h:

I did terribly- S1 destroyed my chances :s-smilie:
I think I got 3.8, 5.2, 3A so it was a pretty close call but not enough. I'm WP this year ( I don't think I was eligible last year) so a bit more prep will hopefully get me an interview!🤞

Do you have any tips for S3 please?:colondollar:

I'm ngl I didn't spend too much time revising for section 3. Just make sure you answer all the parts of the question, come to a conclusion and use good English!
Original post by daryl11
I'm ngl I didn't spend too much time revising for section 3. Just make sure you answer all the parts of the question, come to a conclusion and use good English!

Okie, thank you, will do!!!:hugs:
Best of luck!!:smile:
Original post by pgblaster
Hello, Just wondering, with the new scoring system this year does a minimum score of 6 in bmat section 2 mean 3.0 on the BMAT as this converts to a score of 6 on the system or does it mean a raw score of 6.0 or above? Thanks

Hi,I’m trying to get a hold of someone on the phone at BSMS admissions but it’s really busy. Just wanted to know if you emailed them and what their reply was
Original post by Rechat2017
Hi,I’m trying to get a hold of someone on the phone at BSMS admissions but it’s really busy. Just wanted to know if you emailed them and what their reply was

I called them a week ago and they confirmed that you need at least a minimum of a score of 3 in section 2, not 6. They just said 6 because they’re doubling the points that section 2 is worth this time.
Original post by Rechat2017

Section 2 score is doubled this year, it’s on their website I believe. So overall it’s out of 37 instead of the usual 28
Original post by Hisdarkseraph
I called them a week ago and they confirmed that you need at least a minimum of a score of 3 in section 2, not 6. They just said 6 because they’re doubling the points that section 2 is worth this time.

Thank you so much for this
hi is the min score 6 (for section 2) to get an interview?
Original post by prospect_medic
hi is the min score 6 (for section 2) to get an interview?

It's a minimum score of 3 in terms of BMAT scoring (like it has always been). But, this year BSMS decided to double our section 2 scores to select for interview( so more weighting for s2) which is why they're asking for a 6.
Essentially, you need a 3 at least in terms of BMAT scoring to be considered.
Hope that makes sense!:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
How many GCSE 9s do they need to call for an interview? Is anyone who got called for an interview without all 9s and A* predictions? I am a non-contextual candidate.
Original post by Insurgent04
How many GCSE 9s do they need to call for an interview? Is anyone who got called for an interview without all 9s and A* predictions? I am a non-contextual candidate.

Hey,

I have no 9s at GCSEs or A*s at A Level:frown:

It doesn't matter how many 9s/A*s you've got. As long as you've met the minimum entry criteria and are above the cut offs for BMAT, you'll be invited.

Having all 9s or all A*s doesn't give you an advantage at this uni whereas for others that look at tariff points, it does.

My friend got a few 9s but not all (she got 3As at A Level) and is currently studying Medicine there so don't worry :smile:

Good luck!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Insurgent04

BSMS don't score GCSEs, so as long as you meet minimum requirements, you won't be disadvantaged compared to someone with straight 9s.
Lol I actually liked Brighton but after the BMAT i don’t even think I’ll get an interview
Reply 35
Original post by daryl11
Lol I actually liked Brighton but after the BMAT i don’t even think I’ll get an interview

Same. :s-smilie:
What do you guys think we will need for an interview this year? Like a 5,5,3A?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jopi_Flores
What do you guys think we will need for an interview this year? Like a 5,5,3A?

I think it depends because they don't exactly have a cut off for the individual sections (apart from the minimum requirements). They add the scores together and then you'll be ranked. So, a slightly lower score in one section could be balanced out if you get higher in another section. They're also putting more emphasis in section 2 (doubling your score) so it's a bit difficult to predict this time round because this wasn't the case last year.
I think they're gonna keep the cut off the same as last year (which was like 17.3).

I'm just really hoping they're understanding of the Section 2 scores this year :frown:. It just worries me because they're doubling the section 2 score so basically more emphasis on it.

I got 5.7 in section 2 last year and I would consider myself lucky if I scraped a 4 or 3.5 this year if I'm being honest
Reply 39
Original post by daryl11
I think they're gonna keep the cut off the same as last year (which was like 17.3).

I'm just really hoping they're understanding of the Section 2 scores this year :frown:. It just worries me because they're doubling the section 2 score so basically more emphasis on it.

I got 5.7 in section 2 last year and I would consider myself lucky if I scraped a 4 or 3.5 this year if I'm being honest

Why do you think they'll keep the cut-off the same?

The cut-off is surely based on the scores of that year. If everyone has lower scores then they wouldn't keep the same cut-off score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending