The Student Room Group

Official: Brighton and Sussex (BSMS) A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daryl11
I think they're gonna keep the cut off the same as last year (which was like 17.3).

I'm just really hoping they're understanding of the Section 2 scores this year :frown:. It just worries me because they're doubling the section 2 score so basically more emphasis on it.

I got 5.7 in section 2 last year and I would consider myself lucky if I scraped a 4 or 3.5 this year if I'm being honest

Section 2 was so bad this year but that seems to be the general view here. People from my test centre also felt the same. I don't think cut offs will remain at 17.3 though because section 2 is being doubled this year so there are more points available. Hopefully, we've saved it with s1 and s3 🤞🤞

How did you find the other sections?
Original post by Jessi2004
Section 2 was so bad this year but that seems to be the general view here. People from my test centre also felt the same. I don't think cut offs will remain at 17.3 though because section 2 is being doubled this year so there are more points available. Hopefully, we've saved it with s1 and s3 🤞🤞

How did you find the other sections?

But that’s what scares me more points are available because section 2 is doubled 😭. I actually found section 1 decent although I guessed the last 2 questions because I ran out of time and section 3 was ok, just expecting a 3A if I’m being honest. How about you?
Original post by daryl11
But that’s what scares me more points are available because section 2 is doubled 😭. I actually found section 1 decent although I guessed the last 2 questions because I ran out of time and section 3 was ok, just expecting a 3A if I’m being honest. How about you?

😭 I feel the exact same way. I also guessed for S1 (maybe 2 or 3 randomly at most) but no where near as the many I guessed for section 2. It was horrendous. I wish I wrote a bit more for section 3 but I just want 3A too. I answered all parts of the question so hopefully, that gets me somewhere 😅

But, if section 2 went as badly as I think it did, I need much higher on the other sections to compensate. They did us so dirty 😭😭
Original post by Jessi2004
😭 I feel the exact same way. I also guessed for S1 (maybe 2 or 3 randomly at most) but no where near as the many I guessed for section 2. It was horrendous. I wish I wrote a bit more for section 3 but I just want 3A too. I answered all parts of the question so hopefully, that gets me somewhere 😅

But, if section 2 went as badly as I think it did, I need much higher on the other sections to compensate. They did us so dirty 😭😭

The thing is I remember the first half of section 2 going fast so I can’t remember if I actually answered questions well or if I guessed. Then I realised I had 5 mins left and I was in question 17 💀. I know for a fact I didn’t do as well as I did last year but hopefully BSMS do lower their cut off because I’m kinda depending on it
Original post by daryl11
The thing is I remember the first half of section 2 going fast so I can’t remember if I actually answered questions well or if I guessed. Then I realised I had 5 mins left and I was in question 17 💀. I know for a fact I didn’t do as well as I did last year but hopefully BSMS do lower their cut off because I’m kinda depending on it

😭😭 Going to forget that this nightmare ever happened till the day before results come out. The exam didn't happen till then
😭😭
Hi, sorry if I am dumb but how do you infer that the 6 requested for section 2 is a doubled 3? From the Brighton website it seems very clear to me they want a minimum of 6 in section 2 full stop… thank you!
Original post by giulia123456
Hi, sorry if I am dumb but how do you infer that the 6 requested for section 2 is a doubled 3? From the Brighton website it seems very clear to me they want a minimum of 6 in section 2 full stop… thank you!

People have called the uni and received confirmation that the 6 they want is a BMAT score of 3 doubled for s2.

I think someone had clarified the answer to this same question on the thread recently too so please take a look. You can also email the uni to clarify for yourself :smile:
Ok, thank you, that is very reassuring!
Good luck to everyone applying this year!
🤞🤞🤞
Ok, thank you, that is very reassuring!
Good luck to everyone applying this year!
🤞🤞🤞

No worries, best of luck to you too!
Reply 49
Hi everyone, did you receive any email regarding 'fee status'? from other unis I got emails to complete the fee status questionnaire but I didn't receive one from BSMS; I also checked their online portal :frown:.
Original post by Hisdarkseraph
On their website it said “As part of our agenda to widen participation to medicine, we aim to reserve 30% of interviews for applicants with contextual data. To select for interview, we rank applicants based on their BMAT score, with top ranking candidates invited to interview. Applicants with contextual data are ranked separately from the wider applicant pool.”
Does that mean that it might be more competitive for contextual applicants because they’re fighting for only 30% of the interview places. And how does this work? Because it’s a BMAT shortlisting uni so doesn’t everyone who meets minimum GCSE and A level requirements and the BMAT cutoff get interviews anyway? What if there are more than 30% contextual applicants who meet requirements for interviews? I’m kind of confused?

Does disabilities and health issues come under contextual applicant?
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Does disabilities and health issues come under contextual applicant?

I’m not sure. Here’s the page for contextual info https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying-to-bsms/index.aspx. They’re a bit vague about disabilities and health issues I think. I would contact them through email, it’s at the bottom of the page.
Hi, does anyone know how many applicants Brighton has for 2023 entry?

Hey,
I don't think we can find that out till they publish it on their website. They'll probably only say once this UCAS cycle is done. But, for 2022 entry, they had 2260 applicants.
Thank you!

Hi @giulia123456

BSMS expect to have 193 places for new UK entrants and 10 places for new international (non UK/EU) entrants in September 2023.

You can find further details here.

I hope this is helpful! :smile:

Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep
Thank you Danielle for your reply!
I did know Brighton had 193 places for 2023, I was just wondering if anyone knew how many applicants applied for 2023, but I guess we will find out at a later stage.
Thank you for trying to help!
Thank you Danielle for your reply!
I did know Brighton had 193 places for 2023, I was just wondering if anyone knew how many applicants applied for 2023, but I guess we will find out at a later stage.
Thank you for trying to help!

An admissions officer told me that they have had about 2000 applicants :eek: this year!
Thank you for the information. Last year there were 2260 so if he says around 2000 I guess similar statistics… 🤞🤞🤞
Will we hear about interviews after BMAT scores are released? This wait is not fun :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending