The Student Room Group
Nimbus
Also, how should you tackle the generic (but difficult/hard to prepare) interview questions, such as "why do you want to be a doctor?" ? :woo::s-smilie:

Truthfully :wink:

I was never asked that, and no-one I know has mentioned having been asked it either.
Reply 2
really? you didn't get asked that? that was my first question at birmingham! in fact, they didn't even bother asking it, they just sort of said "well, let's get the obvious one done first..."
on topic, i want to point out that i'm no expert, but i do know that a medical applicant can tick every box available and yet get 4 rejections. reading up on current affairs and stuff isn't necessary so early in the game, especially since it's constantly changing. i started reading up when i got my interview, because that way it stays fresh. if you want to read up, read the bbc health section on the website & the student bmj online. i don't think they expect you to know the ins and outs of illnesses; after all, you're not a doctor yet! i think that if you mention anything in your PS, be prepared to back it up, though.
as for the "why medicine" question, cliche as it is, only you can answer that; nobody else can tell you why. don't get too bogged down with that sort of stuff yet; focus on getting the AS levels this year, but have fun as well :smile:
Reply 3
I concur, avoid cliches and answer truthfully.
just remember interviewers are immuned to the typical "I want to help people" speeches, so attack from somewhere else.

Latest

Trending

Trending