The Student Room Group

deleted

…..
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Yes good GCSE grades they do give you an advantage. Only the med schools are explicit about it. e.g. Cardiff Medical School:

"Three points are awarded for a 9/A*, two points for an 8/A and one point for a 7/B. The typical cut-off has ranged from 24-26 depending on the year, meaning it’s pivotal that you have competitive GCSE grades to apply to Cardiff medical school."

Othe departments use a similar points system to assess candidates but are not explicit about it.
Original post by spliced
I know GCSEs are not as significant as other elements of your application, but if you were to have a strong set of GCSE grades, would you be at any sort of advantage? Most Unis only state that a 4/5/6 (depending on Uni) is needed in Maths and English, does this mean your grade profile as a whole does not matter much? I achieved 99999999988 last year, and was just wondering if that would set me up well in the case of a highly competitive course- assuming that other aspects of my application (PS, predicted grades etc) are just as strong as other applicants. I know Oxford places emphasis on GCSE grades, but does anyone know about how Unis such as UCL, KCL, LSE etc consider them? Could your grades also be used as an indicator of ability in a certain type of subject, for example if you did not take a physical science at a level, but still had scientific ability which is demonstrated at GCSE (or is this just not valuable at all)? I’m purely asking about the advantage (if any) that GCSEs may give you, not GCSEs as a general requirement (as i’m aware you can get onto most courses without 7/8/9s), as well as if they hold value in showing any indication of ability across a range of skills/subjects.

For LSE see the GCSE section here:
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/Virtual-undergraduate-open-day/applying-to-LSE/applying-to-lse
Some do and some do not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending