The Student Room Group

medical science vs animal science

i've received offers for both Medical Science and Animal Science (Bioveterinary Science). Medical Science is an unconditional offer, Animal Science is a reduced conditional.

i have equal pull towards both, so i'm wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help when deciding between them; i'm thinking about things like careers prospects and which is more likely to land me a better-paid job. i would enjoy either, so that's not an issue.

i've been leaning towards Medical Science but that's purely based off of the fact that i received the offer a few days after sending my application, and only received the offer for Animal Science earlier today, so have had less time to consider it.

any advice?
Original post by etherealarachnid
i've received offers for both Medical Science and Animal Science (Bioveterinary Science). Medical Science is an unconditional offer, Animal Science is a reduced conditional....

Go to the offer-holder days, talk to staff and students, ask about graduate prospects, and then decide if you could live there for three years. :smile:
Original post by etherealarachnid
i've received offers for both Medical Science and Animal Science (Bioveterinary Science). Medical Science is an unconditional offer, Animal Science is a reduced conditional.

i have equal pull towards both, so i'm wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help when deciding between them; i'm thinking about things like careers prospects and which is more likely to land me a better-paid job. i would enjoy either, so that's not an issue.

i've been leaning towards Medical Science but that's purely based off of the fact that i received the offer a few days after sending my application, and only received the offer for Animal Science earlier today, so have had less time to consider it.

any advice?

Hi @etherealarachnid!

Congratulations on both of your offers they sound like wonderful opportunities. I am in my second year studying Medical Science at ARU so I can give you insights into the course and what others that I know have gone onto after their studies.

The course offers a wide range of employable skills from lab experience, presentation skills, academic writing and the depth and range of knowledge you attain is fantastic to set you up for many possible career paths. Depending on where you study this may be different but the range of assessments and modules help you decide which area you are more interested in.

I have had friends go onto work for large pharmaceutical companies as clinical research associates, application support administrators for medical and healthcare courses, research and development technicians and many other things.

Have a look at https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ to help you make your decision!

I hope that was helpful and please reply to this thread with any more questions you may have.

Best wishes,

Chloe
Medical Science Undergraduate
ARU Student Rep
Original post by normaw
Go to the offer-holder days, talk to staff and students, ask about graduate prospects, and then decide if you could live there for three years. :smile:

both offers are from the same uni so either way, i know where i'll be staying/studying! i'll definitely ask about graduate prospects for both.
Original post by ARUStudents
Hi @etherealarachnid!

Congratulations on both of your offers they sound like wonderful opportunities. I am in my second year studying Medical Science at ARU so I can give you insights into the course and what others that I know have gone onto after their studies.

The course offers a wide range of employable skills from lab experience, presentation skills, academic writing and the depth and range of knowledge you attain is fantastic to set you up for many possible career paths. Depending on where you study this may be different but the range of assessments and modules help you decide which area you are more interested in.

I have had friends go onto work for large pharmaceutical companies as clinical research associates, application support administrators for medical and healthcare courses, research and development technicians and many other things.

Have a look at https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ to help you make your decision!

I hope that was helpful and please reply to this thread with any more questions you may have.

Best wishes,

Chloe
Medical Science Undergraduate
ARU Student Rep

both offers are from ARU, so it's brilliant to have gotten a response from someone studying the exact course i'm looking at! after looking into it more, i'm definitely leaning more towards accepting the Medical Science offer as the prospects seem better for me.

is there anything you think i should know specifically about the course before starting in september? i know it's a very vague question, but any information would be brilliantly useful - no one in my family ever went to university, and my school haven't been very useful in telling us what to expect, so i'm absolutely clueless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending