The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Official Newcastle University 2023 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

There is an option to transfer to medicine post-first year of Biomed at Newcastle. I will be an international undergrad student, does that disadvantage me in any way??
Also is there any biomed student at Newcastle who can guide me as to how tough it is to score above 75% in semester 1, as it is a requirement.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by vi_005
Hello,

There is an option to transfer to medicine post-first year of Biomed at Newcastle. I will be an international undergrad student, does that disadvantage me in any way??
Also is there any biomed student at Newcastle who can guide me as to how tough it is to score above 75% in semester 1, as it is a requirement.

Let me quickly annoy the reps and hope they got a biomed-medicine transfer student on speed dial.

@Newcastle University
Reply 162
Original post by vi_005
Hello,

@Newcastle University Could you help me out??
Reply 163
Hello there,

I applied for the MSc in Economics and Data Science course on the 26th of March and was wondering if it were possible to provide a timeframe within which I should expect a reply concerning the decision on my application.

Thanks 😊
Original post by miacatherine_x
Hi:smile: im in the process of applying for accommodation and am stuck with which to choose. Any recommendations?

Hi Mia! Congratulations on receiving an offer from us firstly. In terms of accommodation we have so many great options but it does just depend on your budget and preferences. For example, we have one catered accommodation, Castle Leazes where you would share a bathroom but would have your breakfast and evening meals provided on weekdays. This is £147.98 per week. On the other hand, we have Park View Student Village, our newest accommodation which is self-catered with an en-suite for £164.50 per week. These two are very social accommodations where you will always find something to do with someone! We also have some smaller, quieter accommodations such as Marris House, which is self-catered and shared bathroom but is located right next to Park View. This is lovely and modern and costs £129.92 per week. Similarly, Windsor Terrace is a smaller, still sociable site offering self catered en-suite and shared bathroom rooms. En-suites cost £151.90 per week and shared bathroom is £122.50 per week. Definitely have a look online at our 360 tours and think about what your priorities are, whether that be having your own bathroom, sharing with no more than 4 people etc and I'm sure you'll be happy in any of our accommodations and if not, you can always swap! Hope this helps.

Megan :smile:
Newcastle University Outreach Ambassador
Reply 165
Hello!

I have applied thru an agent for the MSc Computer Science on 8th of March and the current status on the application portal is still "awaiting decision". Hopefully to get the final decision soon :smile:
I applied on the 18th of April for an MRes. I'm hoping I get a response before the end of this week to use in applying for the vice chancellor excellence scholarship whose deadline is next week. If the offer comes after the 25th 😒...
Original post by vi_005
Hello,

Hi @vi_005

Students studying on one of our Biomedical Science and Biomolecular Sciences programmes may be eligible to apply to transfer to Stage 1 of our Medicine and Surgery MB BS or Dental Surgery BDS programmes after their first year of study.

Our Medical Admissions Team have advised that application process will be the same for all students, Home and International, and as such, you will not be disadvantaged in anyway. Details about the transfer route are provided to students during a lecture in their first year. Further information can be found on the Transfer Guide.

Students will be selected based on academic performance in the first year, their UCAT score, a personal statement and, if shortlisted, an interview.

This is a very competitive route onto our MB BS and BDS programmes, with only a limited number of places available each year.

Students will need to provide evidence of their UCAT score at the time of application. Scores must be achieved within two years of commencing stage 1 of the Bioscience degree programme. Details on how to register and sit the UCAT can be found at: http://www.ucat.ac.uk. It is a student’s individual responsibility to have a UCAT score ready at the time of transfer application.

You can use our UniBuddy system to ask our current students any questions about the courses that they are currently, including students on our Biomedical Sciences programme. You can also ask questions about university life, studying at Newcastle University and living in Newcastle.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
Original post by Shar Rizal
Hello!

I have applied thru an agent for the MSc Computer Science on 8th of March and the current status on the application portal is still "awaiting decision". Hopefully to get the final decision soon :smile:

Original post by Gigi2000
Hello there,

I applied for the MSc in Economics and Data Science course on the 26th of March and was wondering if it were possible to provide a timeframe within which I should expect a reply concerning the decision on my application.

Thanks 😊

Original post by Anonymous
I applied on the 18th of April for an MRes. I'm hoping I get a response before the end of this week to use in applying for the vice chancellor excellence scholarship whose deadline is next week. If the offer comes after the 25th 😒...

Hi @Gigi2000, @Shar Rizal and Anonymous #11

Due to receiving a high volume of applications for our Postgraduate programmes, there has been a delay in decisions being sent out. As such, we are unable to provide a timeframe on applicant's receiving decisions on their applications. We do apologise for this and our Postgraduate Admissions Team are working through them as quickly as they can.

If you would like to check on the status of your applications, please contact us by calling 0191 208 3333 and pressing option 1, by using the Live Chat service on our website, or by using our Enquiry Form.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Newcastle University for 2023!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find the list of all other applicant threads for 2023 here. Good luck! :heart:

I’m applying for Chemistry course and my subjects in college are Chemistry,Biology and Maths
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Mia! Congratulations on receiving an offer from us firstly. In terms of accommodation we have so many great options but it does just depend on your budget and preferences. For example, we have one catered accommodation, Castle Leazes where you would share a bathroom but would have your breakfast and evening meals provided on weekdays. This is £147.98 per week. On the other hand, we have Park View Student Village, our newest accommodation which is self-catered with an en-suite for £164.50 per week. These two are very social accommodations where you will always find something to do with someone! We also have some smaller, quieter accommodations such as Marris House, which is self-catered and shared bathroom but is located right next to Park View. This is lovely and modern and costs £129.92 per week. Similarly, Windsor Terrace is a smaller, still sociable site offering self catered en-suite and shared bathroom rooms. En-suites cost £151.90 per week and shared bathroom is £122.50 per week. Definitely have a look online at our 360 tours and think about what your priorities are, whether that be having your own bathroom, sharing with no more than 4 people etc and I'm sure you'll be happy in any of our accommodations and if not, you can always swap! Hope this helps.

Megan :smile:
Newcastle University Outreach Ambassador

Thank you this was very helpful!
Reply 171
Hiya! im going to hopefulyl study Linguistics with Japanese (offer received)

What subjects are you studying now? Computer science, Physics and Japanese

I want to learn spanish to a high level too but I'm not sure if I should do the modern foreign language with linguistics or just do it as part of that language program ive heard around before..
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Newcastle University for 2023!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find the list of all other applicant threads for 2023 here. Good luck! :heart:
@Newcastle University When is freshers week 2023?
Reply 173
Heya, I'm an international student and I'll b studying Medical Chemistry.
Anybody else who will be studying the same course?
Original post by yosotros
@Newcastle University When is freshers week 2023?

Hi @yosotros, thanks for your question!

Freshers' Week is arranged by the Newcastle University Students' Union, and is planned to run alongside the first week of term (week commencing Monday 18 September). Some Freshers' events may take place on Sunday 17 September - the Students' Union will confirm their event plan in the coming months.

Scott :smile:
Reply 175
Hi, I will be transferring into year 2 of BSc Environmental Science at Newcastle uni starting this September! Anyone else?
Reply 176
Original post by vi_005
Hello,

Hey I'm planning to transfer to year 2 at Newcastle as well! But for environmental science. Have you received a conditional offer yet?
Original post by aanoushka
Heya, I'm an international student and I'll b studying Medical Chemistry.
Anybody else who will be studying the same course?

Yes, I'll be!!
Original post by Student1267
Applied for chemistry with medicinal chem (mchem)
Currently studying chem, bio and maths
Edit- just got my offer!

hi sorry this is a year on but I'm currently applying for the same course - when did you apply and when did they give you an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending