The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University GCSE Entry Requirements

Hi! This is my first post on here, just in need of some reassurance to ease my mind.

I’m currently planning on applying for Marketing/Marketing & Management (haven’t decided the exact course yet) at Newcastle, probably as my main choice. However, based on the GCSE entry requirements, I fall short of the requirement for Maths (course information states a 6 is required, I achieved a 5 due to sitting foundation). I heard that the more competitive/Russel Group universities are ‘non-negotiable’ when it comes to GCSEs.

I feel like I could still have a chance since my other GCSE grades are fine (all 6-8) and I’m predicted the required AAB for the course, but I was wondering if anyone else was given an offer under similar circumstances? I’ll probably still reply regardless in case luck is on my side, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Not necessarily looking for anyone to explicitly determine my chances of being given an offer, just asking to see if anyone knows more about how flexible universities are willing to be.

Thanks!
Original post by luketern
Hi! This is my first post on here, just in need of some reassurance to ease my mind.

I’m currently planning on applying for Marketing/Marketing & Management (haven’t decided the exact course yet) at Newcastle, probably as my main choice. However, based on the GCSE entry requirements, I fall short of the requirement for Maths (course information states a 6 is required, I achieved a 5 due to sitting foundation). I heard that the more competitive/Russel Group universities are ‘non-negotiable’ when it comes to GCSEs.

I feel like I could still have a chance since my other GCSE grades are fine (all 6-8) and I’m predicted the required AAB for the course, but I was wondering if anyone else was given an offer under similar circumstances? I’ll probably still reply regardless in case luck is on my side, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Not necessarily looking for anyone to explicitly determine my chances of being given an offer, just asking to see if anyone knows more about how flexible universities are willing to be.

Thanks!

I've looked and it says that it would like a 6 in GCSE Maths if not taken to AS/A-Level.

Let me quickly annoy the reps for you though. @Newcastle University
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JA03
I've looked and it says that it would like a 6 in GCSE Maths if not taken to AS/A-Level.

Let me quickly annoy the reps for you though. @Newcastle University

Yeah I noticed that as well, it just confused me considering that most sixth forms require to you have a 6 in a subject in order to take it at A-Level anyways. Thanks for replying! :smile:
Original post by luketern

Thanks!

Hi @luketern

Although our entry requirements do state that we require GCSE Mathematics at grade 6 for our Marketing BSc Honours and Marketing and Management BSc Honours programmes, we may consider applicants who do not meet this requirements.

To check if we would consider your application, please email details of all the qualifications that you have achieved so far or are currently taking, including:

The name of the qualification (e.g. A level, BTEC, GCSE)
The subjects/units covered
Any grades/marks obtained and the year awarded

Please send this information to us via our Enquiry Form and our Undergraduate Admissions Team will assess your eligibility to apply for these courses.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @luketern
Although our entry requirements do state that we require GCSE Mathematics at grade 6 for our Marketing BSc Honours and Marketing and Management BSc Honours programmes, we may consider applicants who do not meet this requirements.
To check if we would consider your application, please email details of all the qualifications that you have achieved so far or are currently taking, including:
The name of the qualification (e.g. A level, BTEC, GCSE)
The subjects/units covered
Any grades/marks obtained and the year awarded
Please send this information to us via our Enquiry Form and our Undergraduate Admissions Team will assess your eligibility to apply for these courses.
Hope this helps :smile:
Elliott

Currently I’m applying for and received an offer from Newcastle for September next year. There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that I may choose to switch to a Marketing and Management degree. But unfortunately I haven’t received a Grade B in GCSE Maths and only got a C. However, I’m excelling in my other A-levels achieving well beyond the PARTNERS requirements am required to have, including an A* in A-level Business. I would prefer not to switch universities given I would have likely gotten to know and made friends in that group. Do you think Newcastle would still consider me an eligible applicant, especially considering I’m a PARTNERS student? Or give me an offer through clearing?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Currently I’m applying for and received an offer from Newcastle for September next year. There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that I may choose to switch to a Marketing and Management degree. But unfortunately I haven’t received a Grade B in GCSE Maths and only got a C. However, I’m excelling in my other A-levels achieving well beyond the PARTNERS requirements am required to have, including an A* in A-level Business. I would prefer not to switch universities given I would have likely gotten to know and made friends in that group. Do you think Newcastle would still consider me an eligible applicant, especially considering I’m a PARTNERS student? Or give me an offer through clearing?

Hi

Our entry requirements typically state that we require GCSE Mathematics at grade 6 for our Marketing and Management BSc Honours programme. However, as my colleague has advised, we may still consider applicants on a case-by-case basis without this achieved GCSE grade, taking into account information such as their other qualifications and contextual information.

As such, if you would like to check if you would be eligible for a course change, please send this query to us via our Enquiry Form including your UCAS ID number so we can locate your application.

Best wishes,
Lydia
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending