The Student Room Group

Any advice on effective studying?

When the materials are really boring?
smash out past questions and review mark schemes until it becomes automatic.
if you can try to find things that make you interested in the subject, for example for chemistry i watched breaking bad.
Moved to study help
Make quiz lets they saved me through my a levels
Also videos on specific topics on YouTube etc

Make use of the internet productively!
Original post by ev8515
When the materials are really boring?

Hey,
It can be really hard to study if you find the materials boring. Something I would recommend is setting small goals for yourself so it seems more achievable. For example, taking a 5 minute break for every 20 minutes you spend studying. Also using different coloured pens for making notes and post it notes. Also, have a look on YouTube for videos or crash courses on your topics.
Something that sounds odd but can be helpful is being creative with your studying. I can remember making board games to help me learn materials and playing them with friends that also found the materials boring. Even just making the game can help you remember information.

Hope this helps,

Eleanor
- Student Ambassador
As a third year student at university, it has taken me a looong time to figure out how to study effectively. I have tried so many study methods and revision styles over the years and yet I was finding it impossible to curb my habit of procrastination. So what is the secret? Figure out what style of learner you are. This makes such a difference. Our brains our wired to absorb information in different ways. Some of us benefit from reading and writing, others absorb audio a lot quicker. So many study methods recommended out there are tailored towards a single style of learner that is visuals and/or reading & writing. Once i figured out that I was an auditory learner I stopped wasting my time with these methods that weren't benefitting me and researched ways to learn based on my learner style. I discovered a free note taking app called Jamworks and this is what I now use during my lectures. It records short audio clips of the key points of my lectures and then for revision I listen back to these points to absorb the information. The best thing about the app is that it automatically transcribes all the audio to written form as well as creating summaries of the clips so if you need the content to be written out you have it all done for you! Jamworks helps me to study effectively and I no longer feel crazy for not being able to work in the same ways as everyone else. My grades have massively improved so I would reccomend doing a test to figure out what type of learner you are, and if it's auditory give Jamworks a try! Good luck xx
Hey!
You are not alone. I am a big procrastinator myself. A majority of people find studying boring, but anyways we have to do it. Firstly, you need to find why you are doing it, is it because you are not interested/ lazy/ procrastinating/ finding it difficult/ too much on your plate/ anxious/ depressed etc.? It is very important to frame the exact problem, to find a solution which works. I would really advise you to write that problem on a piece of paper. That ways your brain registers the issues better, and stops you from thinking otherwise. Further, if you have the problem in your hands, then if you just type it on google search, you will find hundreds of solutions and you need to find the one that works for you. If you know the exact problem, your work is half done!

Hope this helps.
Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Official Representative
University of Southampton
flashcards and quizlet
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending