The Student Room Group

Working 20+ hours during full time masters?

I recently got offered my dream MRes in London but cannot afford to live there without working. I am wondering if anyone had any experience with working during studying a full time masters e.g. in hospitality? Is it worth it to complete the MRes instead?
Original post by g.farquhar2
I recently got offered my dream MRes in London but cannot afford to live there without working. I am wondering if anyone had any experience with working during studying a full time masters e.g. in hospitality? Is it worth it to complete the MRes instead?

Hey!
I understand the challenges that come with pursuing a full-time master's degree while also needing to work to support yourself financially. While I am not a hospitality student, I can still provide some general advice based on my experience and observations.

Firstly, congratulations on being offered your dream MRes in London! It's an exciting opportunity that can greatly enhance your career prospects. However, the high cost of living in London can be a significant hurdle for many students. Working alongside your studies can certainly help alleviate some of the financial burden, but it's important to consider the potential impact on your academic performance and overall experience.

One key factor to make working and studying manageable is effective time management. It's crucial to plan and prioritize your commitments wisely. Balancing coursework, research, and part-time work requires discipline and organization. I would recommend creating a schedule that allows you to allocate sufficient time for both your academic responsibilities and work commitments.

Consider your course, it's important to understand the demands of your program. Assess the workload and the expectations from your professors to determine the amount of time and effort required for your studies. Be realistic about how much time you can dedicate to work without compromising the quality of your academic work. Remember, your primary focus should be on successfully completing your masters.

When it comes to choosing a job, hospitality can be a viable option for some students. It often offers flexible working hours that can be tailored around your academic schedule. However, keep in mind that hospitality jobs can sometimes involve evening or weekend shifts, which may clash with your study requirements or limit your availability for extracurricular activities.

In terms of the number of hours you should work, I would advise not exceeding 15 hours per week. This allows you to maintain a balance between work and studies. Taking on too many work hours could lead to exhaustion, reduced focus, and increased stress, which can ultimately hinder your academic progress. Remember, your primary goal is to excel in your MRes program.

Lastly, don't forget to consider the support services available to you at your university. They can provide guidance on managing your workload, offer financial advice, and help you explore any available scholarships, grants, or bursaries that could alleviate your financial situation.

Overall, while working alongside your full-time MRes can be challenging, with accurate time management and a realistic approach to work hours, it is possible to strike a balance. Ultimately, the decision to pursue your dream MRes while working will depend on your personal circumstances, financial situation, and your ability to manage your time effectively.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!
I understand the challenges that come with pursuing a full-time master's degree while also needing to work to support yourself financially. While I am not a hospitality student, I can still provide some general advice based on my experience and observations.

Firstly, congratulations on being offered your dream MRes in London! It's an exciting opportunity that can greatly enhance your career prospects. However, the high cost of living in London can be a significant hurdle for many students. Working alongside your studies can certainly help alleviate some of the financial burden, but it's important to consider the potential impact on your academic performance and overall experience.

One key factor to make working and studying manageable is effective time management. It's crucial to plan and prioritize your commitments wisely. Balancing coursework, research, and part-time work requires discipline and organization. I would recommend creating a schedule that allows you to allocate sufficient time for both your academic responsibilities and work commitments.

Consider your course, it's important to understand the demands of your program. Assess the workload and the expectations from your professors to determine the amount of time and effort required for your studies. Be realistic about how much time you can dedicate to work without compromising the quality of your academic work. Remember, your primary focus should be on successfully completing your masters.

When it comes to choosing a job, hospitality can be a viable option for some students. It often offers flexible working hours that can be tailored around your academic schedule. However, keep in mind that hospitality jobs can sometimes involve evening or weekend shifts, which may clash with your study requirements or limit your availability for extracurricular activities.

In terms of the number of hours you should work, I would advise not exceeding 15 hour rs per week. This allows you to maintain a balance between work and studies. Taking on too many work hours could lead to exhaustion, reduced focus, and increased stress, which can ultimately hinder your academic progress. Remember, your primary goal is to excel in your MRes program.

Lastly, don't forget to consider the support services available to you at your university. They can provide guidance on managing your workload, offer financial advice, and help you explore any available scholarships, grants, or bursaries that could alleviate your financial situation.

Overall, while working alongside your full-time MRes can be challenging, with accurate time management and a realistic approach to work hours, it is possible to strike a balance. Ultimately, the decision to pursue your dream MRes while working will depend on your personal circumstances, financial situation, and your ability to manage your time effectively.

Best Wishes
Postgraduate Ambassador

Hi Priya,

Thank you so much for replying! All of your advice is great. I have spoken to the university and they said they can put me on the part time version of the course. The MRes is at UCL in a STEM discipline, so I think it will be a lot of hours. Do you think it is more worth it to do an MRes at Newcastle University (where I live and get alumni discount) or do the part time UCL (much better university and prospects)? I just couldn't afford London on 15 hours a week, and when I look online there doesn't seem to be any scholarships available. I really appreciate your response :smile:
Original post by g.farquhar2
Hi Priya,

Thank you so much for replying! All of your advice is great. I have spoken to the university and they said they can put me on the part time version of the course. The MRes is at UCL in a STEM discipline, so I think it will be a lot of hours. Do you think it is more worth it to do an MRes at Newcastle University (where I live and get alumni discount) or do the part time UCL (much better university and prospects)? I just couldn't afford London on 15 hours a week, and when I look online there doesn't seem to be any scholarships available. I really appreciate your response :smile:

Hey!
I'm glad to hear that you found my previous advice helpful. Regarding your question about pursuing an MRes, it's important to consider various factors before making a decision.

While UCL may have a stronger reputation and potentially better prospects, it's crucial to weigh that against the practicalities of your situation. Affordability and financial considerations play a significant role in shaping your choices. If pursuing the MRes at UCL on a part-time basis allows you to manage your expenses and have a more sustainable lifestyle, it might be a sensible option. However, if the financial strain is too significant and impacts your overall well-being and ability to focus on your studies, it's worth considering the option of studying at Newcastle University, where you have the advantage of an alumni discount and the convenience of living in the same city.

It's important to research and evaluate the specific programs and opportunities offered by both universities. Look into factors such as the curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and the potential for networking and career advancement. Consider reaching out to current or former students from both institutions to gather their insights and experiences.

As a student ambassador, I want to emphasize that I don't have specific knowledge regarding the programs at UCL or Newcastle University, so I can't provide direct advice on that aspect. However, I can encourage you to make an informed decision by thoroughly researching both options, weighing the pros and cons, and considering your personal circumstances and goals.

Additionally, you mentioned not finding scholarships available for studying in London. While scholarships can be competitive, it's worth exploring various funding opportunities such as grants, bursaries, or external scholarships that might be applicable to your field of study or personal circumstances. Reach out to the financial aid offices of both universities for information on available funding options and any additional support they can provide.

Ultimately, the decision should align with your long-term goals, financial feasibility, and personal circumstances. It's a significant choice, so take your time, gather as much information as possible, and consider seeking advice from academic advisors or professionals in your field who may have insights into the reputation and value of the programs at each institution.

Wishing you all the best as you make this important decision!

Best Wishes
Postgraduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending