The Student Room Group

Any advice for a young female on working out with an odd schedule?

Hi all, I am a graduate student studying part time and working full time, 4 nights a week ( 12 hour night shifts) to maintain my expenses. The days I work change each week as I am on a 4 nights on, 4 nights off rotation. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on choosing the best time to train, how often to train, and how long to train for. My schedule is ever-so changing and most of my time is spent either in class, studying at the library or at work.

Since beginning my programme two months ago, I have been living a more sedentary life, although I have made attempts at consistently training on my days off but when you're running on a sleep deficit it can be incredibly challenging- also not knowing when to sleep or feeling sleepy at the wrong time (when I plan to study or train). Moreover, this is not a rant but needless to say, this drastic lifestyle change has resulted in my physique gradually changing for the worse and feeling lethargic almost all the time.

I do not want to give up the one thing that keeps me sane and gives me confidence! I would appreciate any tips on how to juggle all of this; if anyone has any advice please do share :smile:
Original post by Jackie321
Hi all, I am a graduate student studying part time and working full time, 4 nights a week ( 12 hour night shifts) to maintain my expenses. The days I work change each week as I am on a 4 nights on, 4 nights off rotation. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on choosing the best time to train, how often to train, and how long to train for. My schedule is ever-so changing and most of my time is spent either in class, studying at the library or at work.

Since beginning my programme two months ago, I have been living a more sedentary life, although I have made attempts at consistently training on my days off but when you're running on a sleep deficit it can be incredibly challenging- also not knowing when to sleep or feeling sleepy at the wrong time (when I plan to study or train). Moreover, this is not a rant but needless to say, this drastic lifestyle change has resulted in my physique gradually changing for the worse and feeling lethargic almost all the time.

I do not want to give up the one thing that keeps me sane and gives me confidence! I would appreciate any tips on how to juggle all of this; if anyone has any advice please do share :smile:

Hi Jackie, I am pt and online coach so I hope my advice is useful! I would personally exercise after work. Even though to start with it will feel like a chore, exercise produces endorphins and that can help to make you feel more energised and it will probably help with the lethargic feeling you are speaking of. To start with, I would aim for 3 times a week, gain some consistency and then increase to 4 if possible. Obviously this does all depend on what your programme looks like too and what imbalances you have etc.
Reply 2
Original post by super_hannah
Hi Jackie, I am pt and online coach so I hope my advice is useful! I would personally exercise after work. Even though to start with it will feel like a chore, exercise produces endorphins and that can help to make you feel more energised and it will probably help with the lethargic feeling you are speaking of. To start with, I would aim for 3 times a week, gain some consistency and then increase to 4 if possible. Obviously this does all depend on what your programme looks like too and what imbalances you have etc.

Hi Hannah

Thank you for responding! I will try out your suggestions and track how my body responds. Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Jackie321
Hello @BhavitaC,

I completely sympathise with you here - it can be tricky to balance work, study and keeping up with a fitness routine, but with some effective strategies in place it can be done.

We have a blog post dedicated to providing full-time professionals with strategies to balance full-time work and study - https://bit.ly/3PgRZ9z. These are the tips we share with our students who are studying online BSc or MSc courses, so I think this might help you manage your various commitments.

I hope that this helps and good luck!

Thanks,

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest