The Student Room Group

Am I at risk of a driving FPN?

Feel so stupid in hindsight but cut across a car coming against me to get to the petrol station. This car came around a sharp 90 degree bend pretty quickly and I had already started to turn before I saw it so my reaction was to stay going. Didn’t notice the police car right behind who also pulled into the petrol station. I pulled into the side straightaway (expecting them to come over to me). Instead they definitely looked at my car for 5-10 secs but didn’t come over to me.
Complete lapse in judgement that thankfully didn’t result in anyone getting hurt. I’m normally a very cautious driver but this is a huge lesson learned. But I’m worried sick thinking I’ll get an FPN & penalty points in post.
Is it a hopeful sign if they never came over to me or is it likely they’ll just send a FPN rather than have spoken to me directly on scene?
Reply 1
Not all police officers are waiting to take your driving licence away from you. If as you say the oncoming driver was driving fast around a blind bend, you had an instant to make a decision. Maybe it was the right one, maybe it wasn’t. Either way no one was hurt and I very much doubt that any action will be taken against you,
Nah you're almost certainly fine, if the police wanted to speak to you about the matter (in the context of careless driving) they would have at the time. As far as I'm aware they can give you fines and points after the fact without stopping you, but only if there is a v good reason they couldn't stop you at the time, and in this case you had both pulled off the road. (It's apparently also a huge amount of paperwork to give a ticket without stopping you at the time, they won't do it lightly)

As the police car would have likely seen you begin your turn before they saw the fast oncoming car themselves, they prob know it wasn't you at significant fault.
If they were to speak to you they would of done it there and then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending