The Student Room Group

Examiner's mirror for driving test.

Ok, so i'm planning to take my driving test in my own car, but i'm aware I need to get an extra mirror for the examiner. I went into Halfords and there were two sizes of mirrors. There was a smaller size (£5.99) mirror and then a slightly larger size (£14.99) mirror. [The two sizes can be seen here: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_158406_langId_-1_categoryId_52210 ]

Does anyone know if the smaller one is ok? I know examiners can be really fussy about detail and i don't want to not be able to do my test for something stupid!

Thank you for any help!:smile:
Reply 1
the smaller one should be fine, thats about the size they are in the instructors cars anyway :smile:
I used the smaller one from halfords as I did the test in my own car too. The examiners seemed to be fine with it.
for the tenner is it really worth the risk of losing your test fee and not being able to do your test
Reply 4
gefmongoose
I used the smaller one from halfords as I did the test in my own car too. The examiners seemed to be fine with it.

This is kind of related - when you went in for your test with your own car, did you have to show proof of insurance, or did you just sign something?
I took my insurance documents, but they didn't ask to see them. I had to sign a form, but I think it was the same form you have to sign regardless. They asked a few questions about my car - what year it was etc and then we did the test as normal.
Regarding the mirror, I just handed it the examiner when he got in so he could place it himself.
The small one is fine. (Mother is a driving instructer - she has the smaller one to use on lessons which stays in the car for tests. No examiner has ever refused a test.)
Reply 7
I think that this is soo wasteful. Apparently they have some at the place anyway for people who forget. I wouldn't risk it - but can't they just have their own?
Reply 8
do i have to fit anything to the wing mirrors? or is it just the interior rear view?
Original post by dean1780
do i have to fit anything to the wing mirrors? or is it just the interior rear view?

(A 13 year old bump, you’d have been better starting your own thread tbh.)

@TheDE could you help with this one?
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
(A 13 year old bump, you’d have been better starting your own thread tbh.)

@TheDE could you help with this one?

No mirror accessories needed!
Original post by TheDE
No mirror accessories needed!

Thanks as always!
Do we need anything extra except the rear view mirro for the examiner If we use our own car?
Original post by dean1780

just the interior mirror

even the ES spec Volvos no longer have a second passenger mirror
Reply 14
In my first exam, the instructor had his own mirror but I took my own just in case.
In my second exam, this time a different instructor who asked me if I had a mirror because he didn't have one. I still took my own, it probably would've been an instant fail if I didnt. It doesn't say at https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-to-take. but it says at https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car to bring a interior mirror. I guess its 50/50 if the examiner brings one, so take one just to be safe. Mine was roughly half the width and height of my interior car mirror and he was fine with it.

As for insurance, I pointed out I have the insurance printed in the glovebox but neither wanted to look at it, they said they trust me as I have ticked and signed the documents on the tablet confirming the car and the instructor are insured.

Another thing that might come in useful if its your first time, trust me I've been there panicking the night before reading all sorts of stuff lol . They want you to reverse bay park into the parking spot (should be yellow) before the exam and when the exam is about to finish, so make sure your reverse parking is good. Adjusting mirrors for parking is also fine. Parking about 10 minutes early before the exam should also be fine. That 5-something minute rule is just there to make sure you are late, and the exam usually starts late anyway.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending