The Student Room Group

Request of an early maintenance loan payment

Scroll to see replies

Thanks. This will be reviewed accordingly and update your application once completed. Thanks, Jason
Reply 101
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks. This will be reviewed accordingly and update your application once completed. Thanks, Jason

I've just had an email from SF saying that I'm not eligible for further student maintenance etc due to previous study that I didn't complete which were due to bearevement in family ( both parents 2 years apart) buried me head in the sand thought I'd crack on with me but in the end it got too much then I dropped then plucked up the courage to see my GP who diagnosed me with depression which was due to 2 big loss in my family.

So all in all I have evidence of both death certificates as well as doctors sick note about me being diagnosed with depression or do I need to get a written letter from docs putting it writing?

On the email it states that if I'm not happy with the decision I could make an appeal either by downloading the appeal form n send it back to them or reply to their email address with evidence backing up the reasons why I think the decision should be overturned.

My question is would I stand a chance with the list of evidence I've mentioned above to have the decision overturned as I'm about to start my new course at Arden uni in mid May this year so I have pretty much a month and half to have it overturned in order for me to start with my new blended degree.

Have they been cases were they were initially made ineligible but got it overturned by making an appeal?

Any experts out there?
Thanks
Hi there,

If you have evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you could not continue you with a course your can submit this to us. You can upload a cover letter from yourself explaining the situation in as much detail as you are willing to provide and why you couldn't continue with your studies. This can then be uploaded from your online account and if it was due to bereavement we would also ask you to upload copies of the death certificates. We can then assess you again to see if you can get a year of Tuition Fee Loan back.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 103
Hi,

Thanks for your response, iv gathered as much evidence as I can including death certificates. Will write a cover letter shortly and upload it to my account. I was asked to forward it to an appeal email or via post. What would you suggest I should do as I have got over 15 pages to send over.

Thanks
Hi there,

You would just need to upload the evidence from your online account. You would not need to post or email it as an appeal as it is not classed as an appeal because you are applying for Compelling Personal Reasons. When you log into your online account click on the current academic year. When this pages loads up on the right hand side you should see an expand button. If you click on this it should give you a drop down menu and you should see an upload of evidence option here. You can use the link below as it will show you what to do.

https://youtu.be/rOMx_EG5JWk

Thanks, Drew
Reply 105
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
You would just need to upload the evidence from your online account. You would not need to post or email it as an appeal as it is not classed as an appeal because you are applying for Compelling Personal Reasons. When you log into your online account click on the current academic year. When this pages loads up on the right hand side you should see an expand button. If you click on this it should give you a drop down menu and you should see an upload of evidence option here. You can use the link below as it will show you what to do.
https://youtu.be/rOMx_EG5JWk
Thanks, Drew

Although I got sent an email saying that I'm ineligible and that I should make an appeal if I choose to do so. Your advice is to apply for compelling reasons rather than make an appeal as suggested by themselves?
Hi there,

You can make an appeal if you want as well but it can take 40+ working days to process. Why did they say you were ineligible was it due to not providing Compelling Personal Reasons?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 107
Hi there,
You can make an appeal if you want as well but it can take 40+ working days to process. Why did they say you were ineligible was it due to not providing Compelling Personal Reasons?
Thanks, Drew

They said it was due to previous studies I had without completing it and I had one compelling reasons approved in the past. So do you reckon I should apply as compelling reasons as well as make an appeal just to kill 2 birds with one stone sort of thing?
Thanks
Hi there,

Yes I would do both just in case as you were advised to send an appeal.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 109
Hi there,
Yes I would do both just in case as you were advised to send an appeal.
Thanks, Drew
OK many thanks, will do so ASAP and will inform you of the outcome. What's the timeline on both compelling reasons and appeal if I may ask.

Thanks
Hi there,

Have you applied as a UK national, Migrant Worker or EU national? Do you have any child dependents on your application? The appeal can take 40+ working days to process.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 111
Hi there,
Have you applied as a UK national, Migrant Worker or EU national? Do you have any child dependents on your application? The appeal can take 40+ working days to process.
Thanks, Drew

I've applied as a UK national and do have 4 children dependents.
Thanks
Hi there,

Then it should take approximately 5 working days to process your Compelling Personal Reasons.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 113
Hi there,
Then it should take approximately 5 working days to process your Compelling Personal Reasons.
Thanks, Drew

Thanks ever so much for your prompt response and clarification. Will get on it this evening ( through compelling reasons as well as making an appeal).

Will be back on here if I need any more clarity or if I hear any outcome from them. Thanks
You're welcome. I hope you have a nice evening.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 115
You're welcome. I hope you have a nice evening.
Thanks, Drew

Hi,
I've sent off everything needed for compelling personal reasons as well as making an appeal as suggested. I've also put it through the post just in case all thise attachments I've sent through email do not open up for some reason.

When will I hear from them or get an acknowledgement response. Is the appeal department a different one from compelling personal reasons?

Thanks
Hi there. Yes, these are 2 separate departments. For the Compelling Personal Reasons evidence it will take around 5 working days for you to have a response. For the appeal this can take over 40 working days. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending