The Student Room Group

opinions on animation universities?

I’ve been looking at unis that offer animation, preferably those that have an integrated foundation year? (i didnt do any art a levels or gcse’s). the only uni i’m planning to apply to so far is UCA at farnham. other universities i’ve seen are teesside, hertfordshire, man met and BU. i havent been to their open days. are any of them actually good? and are there any other good ones i’m missing?
Why do you want to take an integrated foundation year instead of a much cheaper art and design foundation diploma that would let you apply to any university.
Original post by lostartenjoyer
I’ve been looking at unis that offer animation, preferably those that have an integrated foundation year? (i didnt do any art a levels or gcse’s). the only uni i’m planning to apply to so far is UCA at farnham. other universities i’ve seen are teesside, hertfordshire, man met and BU. i havent been to their open days. are any of them actually good? and are there any other good ones i’m missing?

Hi @lostartenjoyer!

My name is Rohnak and I'm in my third year of Animation at Escape Studios. I'd like to put them forward as a potential option for you to consider, because they do seem to fit what you're looking for! Escape Studios offers undergraduate degrees in Animation, as well as VFX and Game Art. The first year of your studies is very focused on building those foundational skills. The students from all three of the disciplines above study the same content for the first year. You'll have a module focused on learning the basics of key software packages such as Maya and Substance Painter, and a few smaller ones such as Cinematography, Narrative, and Art Foundations. I was also someone who didn't do Art & Design at A-Level, and put together a portfolio that was entirely personal projects so I was a bit worried about the gaps in my knowledge. The first year was really useful in helping me understand the principles of good art and good filmmaking. It helped me feel confident in my ability to make appealing animation. :smile:

If Escape interests you, you could take a look at our courses! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

I wish you the best of luck in pursuing animation!

Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
Reply 3
University of Hertfordshire is ranked three in the world according to Rookies, and consequently extremely competitive. I don’t think they do foundation, but I highly recommend you do one if you haven’t done Art A level. AUB, BU, UCA, UofH, UWE, Escape (as mentioned) Nottingham Trent, Falmouth are all good for animation. Look at individual modules to see if it covers the areas you are particularly interested in.
Hi! Im currently finishing up my first year at NTU (Nottingham Trent University) doing animation and would definitely recommend it here! This year we've covered basically all aspects of the animation pipeline, and done lots of things like 3D, 2D, Modelling, Rigging, Vis dev/stoarboarding and now for our final year film projects we get to choose exactly what we want to do :smile:

Hope this is helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest