The Student Room Group

Distance learning with Oxbridge or Oxford online learning?

Plan on studying A-level Maths, further Maths and physics with a distance learning provider, but which one?

My main concern with oxbridge is the exam boards. I previously did A-level maths on edexcel but they only have aqa on it and edexcel for further which i find strange

My issue with oxford online is that are the tutors any good?, the price seems lower than oxbridge so is the support of tutors rubbish?

Anyone who could share their experiences with either I would kindly appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance
I have spent a lot of time looking at distance learning as a private candidate and most of them are not any good at all. They take 20x longer to reply to any help you need than a normal education institution, and they don't teach you anything, you have to teach everything yourself.

I'm taking A Level Maths and Further Maths as a private candidate too, I've decided to not buy any course for it because it's a waste of money, they just list topics you have to do and might send you the textbook needed, which you can do yourself. I did however get a maths tutor so I could get a reference for UCAS. However even then there is a lot of great youtube channels like Bicen Maths which are the same or higher quality than even my maths tutoring lessons (I only have one lesson every week or two).

For A Level Computer Science I ended up getting the fast track A Level course with Pembrokeshire (learn online) so I could get someone to mark my NEA since it's really hard as a private candidate. It cost me ~£990 which includes them marking my NEA, 2 past paper marking and marking some questions from each topic. Which is still over priced in my opinion but it's slightly reasonable I guess. I also went with one of the UK exam boards (OCR) and not international like cambridge because of how much more resources there is online which also justifies the £990 cost for me to be honest.

Some Universities don't care if you don't do practicals for science if you're a private candidate however I suggest you call them and ask.

Overall, do not spend money on these distance learning sites, you can do it all your self. Just buy the textbooks and go look at good online resources such as Bicen Maths, physicsandmathstutor and put time into your learning and you'll do fine. If you really do feel like you need some tutoring or help with past papers then use sites like MyTutor to get some help with a specific subject.

Use the JCQ site to find exam centres where you can do your exams and then contact them:
https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates
Original post by alanb21
I have spent a lot of time looking at distance learning as a private candidate and most of them are not any good at all. They take 20x longer to reply to any help you need than a normal education institution, and they don't teach you anything, you have to teach everything yourself.

I'm taking A Level Maths and Further Maths as a private candidate too, I've decided to not buy any course for it because it's a waste of money, they just list topics you have to do and might send you the textbook needed, which you can do yourself. I did however get a maths tutor so I could get a reference for UCAS. However even then there is a lot of great youtube channels like Bicen Maths which are the same or higher quality than even my maths tutoring lessons (I only have one lesson every week or two).

For A Level Computer Science I ended up getting the fast track A Level course with Pembrokeshire (learn online) so I could get someone to mark my NEA since it's really hard as a private candidate. It cost me ~£990 which includes them marking my NEA, 2 past paper marking and marking some questions from each topic. Which is still over priced in my opinion but it's slightly reasonable I guess. I also went with one of the UK exam boards (OCR) and not international like cambridge because of how much more resources there is online which also justifies the £990 cost for me to be honest.

Some Universities don't care if you don't do practicals for science if you're a private candidate however I suggest you call them and ask.

Overall, do not spend money on these distance learning sites, you can do it all your self. Just buy the textbooks and go look at good online resources such as Bicen Maths, physicsandmathstutor and put time into your learning and you'll do fine. If you really do feel like you need some tutoring or help with past papers then use sites like MyTutor to get some help with a specific subject.

Use the JCQ site to find exam centres where you can do your exams and then contact them:
https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates

I wish I had seen this post before I signed up with Oxbridge to do distance learning due to health issues, they are honestly useless in my opinion and it was a waste of my money :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest