The Student Room Group

Revision isn't going in help!

None of my revision is going in and I am so stressed about it. Its really putting me off revising because it makes me feel it is a waste of time. I have year 13 mocks in less than 2 months and I feel so screwed help. LITERALLY nothing is going in at all after like 8 hours :frown:.
Did you revise 8hrs in a single day? If so, that's not an effective way to study. You're just going to get confused, feel overwhelmed, and ultimately burnout.

Revising a little bit everyday is better than sitting down and trying to commit a whole lot to memory in a single session/day.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
I'm doing English Language, Sociology and Psychology. 4-5 hours ON THE WEEKEND... Damn that feels too much to me lol.
Original post by Joshua8998
None of my revision is going in and I am so stressed about it. Its really putting me off revising because it makes me feel it is a waste of time. I have year 13 mocks in less than 2 months and I feel so screwed help. LITERALLY nothing is going in at all after like 8 hours :frown:.

Heya!
First of all, take a short break and clear your head - perhaps you are over-burnt and just need some time away from the textbooks :h: After a few days, try doing the Pomodoro technique when going back to revision, you can read more about it here. It helps with maintaining focus + you take regular breaks which should help you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hi,

Thought I would reach out because I was often in that situation when I was back in A-Levels (4 years ago now!).

If you have revised for 8 hours in one day and it's not going in, then stop. I know you probably hear it a lot, but it's not about how long you revise, it's about the quality. There is no point in studying for so long if it's not going in, that time might be better spent relaxing/sleeping to allow your brain to absorb new information.

Here are some tips that I found useful:
-Make sure you take a break every hour or so, whether it's making a cup of tea, or watching something on YouTube - you need to allow yourself time to relax and take in new information.

-Change up your revision methods - I loved blurting (get a piece of paper, write down everything you know about a subject from your memory, then with your notes, go back through and see what you missed), it is effective because you see what you do and don't need to revise. Alternatively, I liked using flashcards, watching simplified YouTube videos on the topic, and trying to teach my parents about the subject.

-Practice papers are your best friends - focus on these! Use the marking schemes to essentially figure out what the exam board want you to write.

-Make a study timetable - give yourself a couple of hours per day for a subject, and make sure you switch between the different topics and revision techniques. If you just stick at one, you will likely find it won't go in - the brain works better when you think about things from different angles, and it helps you to link the topics together, which could help with improving grades :smile:

-Make sure you take at least one day off in a week - I know this seems impossible, but trust me, you need it.

I hope this helps!

Tyler (LU Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest