The Student Room Group

Guys how do you push yourself to study more? im struggling so bad

I feel like I can't even do more than an hr work daily. I just feel so overwhelmed sometimes, almost like im struggling for breath idk if its just me. Idk how people study several hrs a day. Any advice/tips?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I feel like I can't even do more than an hr work daily. I just feel so overwhelmed sometimes, almost like im struggling for breath idk if its just me. Idk how people study several hrs a day. Any advice/tips?

dude I'm in the exact same boat as you, external exams in a month and i cant even get myself to pick up the textbook, I'm so insanely behind too and i have a conditional offer for umanchester that i need to meet (7,66 and 39/45 in the IB)
Hiya,

It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed and so many students struggle to find the balance of revision and rest but here are a few tips that might help you:

Break it down: Sometimes, looking at a large task or study session can be overwhelming. Break your work into smaller, more manageable chunks. Set specific goals for each study session, whether it's completing a certain number of problems or making revision notes.

Prioritize tasks: Not all tasks are equal so identify the most important tasks that you need to do first and focus on those. This will definitely help you feel more accomplished as you work through your to-do list.

Find your optimal study environment: Experiment with different study areas to see what works best for you. Some people prefer quiet spaces like libraries, while others work better with background noise. Make sure your study space is comfortable and free from distractions (I sometimes have to leave my phone in another room so I don't get tempted to sit and scroll for hours).

Take breaks: It's important to give yourself regular breaks to rest and recharge. Help yourself prevent any burnouts and keep a steady momentum of revion going

Remember to take care of yourself outside of studying: Make sure you're getting enough sleep, eating well and taking time to relax.

Seek support: If you're feeling overwhelmed, don't be afraid to reach out for help. Talk to your teachers, classmates about any concerns, related to studies or not. They may be able to offer advice, resources or support to help you manage your workload more effectively.

Remember, everyone's study habits and capabilities are different, so try not to compare yourself to others. Focus on finding what works best for you and take it one step at a time. You've got this!

I hope all this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Wishing you all the best for your exams!!
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi there 👋 I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling overwhelmed about your upcoming exams, but it's important to know that you aren't alone! When I was doing my A-levels, I felt the same as you are feeling now - I felt that I had so much to do that I couldn't do anything and would regularly procrastinate. However, I then started speaking with some friends in my class and we did a couple of study sessions together which helped me feel a bit more engaged. As I got into the flow of revising with others, I then decided it was time for me to take action and start revising alone too. Hence, I created a revision plan, ensuring that I gave myself regular breaks as otherwise I would be overloaded with information and get a headache. I would also reward myself with my favourite chocolate bar, for example, when I stuck to revision for the set amount of time that I had planned. The best advice I could give would be to start small and build your revision time up, and devise a study plan like I did as this will help you keep on track and give you more of a routine.

Another piece of advice would be to work out what type of learner you are - do you learn more through reading? through practice questions? through speaking? through videos? there are online assessments that you can take to learn about this. It may just be that you are revising in a way that you don't respond as well to, and hence trying a new study method may help you in your revision.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your exams.

Lauren
WrexhamUniReps
take breaks - i always thought this as going on my phone and just playing games. Recently, i have found it more helpful to be doing other things during my breaks like chores, having lunch, going for a walk etc. Make sure your break isn't addictive and remember that its a break from your studying, not an overall break if that makes sense. I found that its easier for me to start working again as my head is not fully relaxed yet and i can work again.
Eat healthy and get good sleep - this is explanatory. If you eat rubbish food - too much sweets or caffeine, your body isn't going to be functioning well, the same with sleep. Drinking cool water will refresh yourself once in a while.
If you think thats your study environment is affecting you, maybe change it. As the weather starts to improve, you can study outside. At the moment, you can study in library's or quiet cafes.
Maybe your revision methods aren't varied enough - its easy to get overwhelmed or even bored when your staring at the same papers, not understanding where you went wrong. You tube is a lifesaver for learning but at a more relaxed pace if that makes sense.
Having a clean environment is also helpful
I go to a library instead of trying to study at home and sit where people can see what’s on my laptop/phone screen, for some reason it stops me from scrolling on social media or starting watching something on YouTube if I feel like people are looking over my shoulder at what’s on my screen lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending