The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

What is this university like?

Hi, i was wondering what this university is like, peoples experiences with it. i am applying and this is one i have become interested in . Thanks.
Original post by frazzlechips
Hi, i was wondering what this university is like, peoples experiences with it. i am applying and this is one i have become interested in . Thanks.

You will get the best idea of how the uni is from people who currently study in it. Ask a current student about their experiences here, or reach out to students on other social media sites.

Hope this helps! :smile:
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
Hey, I'm a second year at Chi.

I think it definitely depends on what course you're on. Humanities courses have lost some lecturers in recent years and they don't seem to be getting replaced. Funding definitely does towards drama and sports course more than anything. (I haven't heard anything bad about teaching courses, psychology courses or nursing though either). The lecturers that are at the uni are all really nice in my experience. The wellbeing team, careers team and those sort of support people are also pretty good.

Chi definitely isn't the place to go for a massive social life. It's got a few bars that students frequent in town (Vestry and Chantry) as well as the SU. There's still definitely that typical, partying uni culture though if you want in on that - especially if you're interested in joining a sports team as they usually go to WSIHE every Wednesday at the SU (but that's like an optional thing). If you're more of a sober person there's non-alcoholic drinks at the SU and (I think) all societies do non-alcoholic socials and meetings.

Like every uni it's not perfect. It's definitely small and lectures/seminars have more of a classroom vibe that a lecture hall vibe. Personally, I find I learn better that way so for me that's a good thing but I know for others it isn't. It's all very much personal taste but no matter what kind of person you are there's gonna be people you can group with here. Like there's probably a 50/50 split of partiers and studiers.

That's like as best an idea I can give trying to be generic tbh. Hope it helps a bit.

What course are you looking at doing?
(edited 1 year ago)
Two years ago I'd have said this was a great uni to attend, but as I'm in the last year of my degree I can't recommend it at all.

Above poster is right, we've lost a lot of lecturers who aren't being replaced. Instead, lecturers are being kept on part time contracts and made to cover the work of the ones who have left. They are fantastic lecturers, don't get me wrong, but the university itself is not great.

If you're a foreign student, don't attend. Tuition has gone up over 2k since I came here and the quality of teaching (for the abovementioned issues) has dropped. You don't get any real assistance, if you've got a mental health condition/other condition that requires extensions or support you're better off not going to the university itself because you won't get any help. Your individual lecturers are the best people to speak to, because they'll treat you like a human unlike most of the admin staff. They're terrible at communication and responding to emails for important issues and come down on you hard without trying to offer any assistance or a crumb of sympathy.

Tldr; lecturers themselves are great but the university as a whole treats their students and staff as if they're disposable and I can't recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending