The Student Room Group

city university or queen mary?

hey all,

I have the option to study at either city university or queen Mary. I have no family to discuss this with and would really appreciate some advice from people as I feel like I am driving myself crazy with doing my own research.

I have the same course for both and please do not answer back with "choose what makes you happy" etc. I would like really appreciate some solid feedback as I just simply do not know which university is better. I don't think the course in particular matters, as I care more about the university itself (For a lot of reasons).

please please please, any advice (from even current uni students)
Original post by user167477
hey all,
I have the option to study at either city university or queen Mary. I have no family to discuss this with and would really appreciate some advice from people as I feel like I am driving myself crazy with doing my own research.
I have the same course for both and please do not answer back with "choose what makes you happy" etc. I would like really appreciate some solid feedback as I just simply do not know which university is better. I don't think the course in particular matters, as I care more about the university itself (For a lot of reasons).
please please please, any advice (from even current uni students)

Hi @user167477,

I would recommend asking yourself these questions in regards to helping you to choose to maybe give an idea on what you would prefer:

Maybe try for an open day to have a look around if this is not possible see if they have any virtual tours available so you can get a feel for what it would be like.

See if there is a chat to students function on the university's website you could see if someone is doing the same course or within the same department if you want something specific to the course and the day to day life/scheduling of this. Or you could just message any of them depending on your circumstances such as moving away or commuting as this could provide you an idea of what your experience could be like there.

I know you say you don't think the course matters however there can be some questions that arise through the course such as: what modules are available - are they very similar between the universities or rather different do you have a preference on this, do you require/wish to do a specific module for your future career, how will you be assessed do you have a preferable way to this e.g., all exams, all coursework or a mix of both.

What are the student opportunities with this course such as a year abroad or in the industry is this an option your interested in?

What connections to alumni or other organisations do they have are there any links to organisations or companies that you would be interested in working in?

Are they city or campus based universities? Do you have a preference?

What is the student support like at that university? What is the careers support like?

Based on these answers you may be able to get an idea of which one you would prefer. You could then make a pro's and con's list for each and see which aspects you find more important to help make the decision.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending