The Student Room Group

A-level Psychology Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkwrld5
hi everyone, i’m currently on an A* for psych. if anyone wants advice or help with any topics, please let me know! :smile:

for reference, my paper 3 options are relationships, forensics (which i haven’t yet finished at school), and eating behaviours

Thank you so much for asking!! i am in desperate need for advice, especially this topic as i still cannot figure out how to revise effectively. what is ur revision strategy?
Original post by Yuri.xhan
Thank you so much for asking!! i am in desperate need for advice, especially this topic as i still cannot figure out how to revise effectively. what is ur revision strategy?

hey! which topic are you referring to?

my general advice would be to practice a lot of active recall.
i have a google slides presentation with all the topics and the studies for AO1 & AO3. i first try and see how much i’m able to memorise without looking at the slides by writing everything out on a whiteboard, then fill in the blanks with a different colour pen. this helps me focus my revision on the things that i don’t remember. i also make essay plans off of memory, and then fill in the blanks in a different colour. just keep repeating these tasks and this should help it all stick.

if there’s any topic you don’t understand, obviously this makes it difficult to use in an exam, so i’d be happy to go over anything that doesn’t make sense to you, just pm me!

i hope this helps!!

i have a google slides presentation with all the topics and the studies for AO1 & AO3.

hey! could you possibly share those please? It would be a great help
Is it possible you could share them with me too please ? : )
Original post by psychstudent2625
hey! could you possibly share those please? It would be a great help
Reply 64
hi everyone, i’m currently on an A* for psych. if anyone wants advice or help with any topics, please let me know! :smile:

for reference, my paper 3 options are relationships, forensics (which i haven’t yet finished at school), and eating behaviours

Very cheeky IK, do you have your notes for relationships that i can have a look at?
Hi guys, i decided to take up psychology a level during my gap year and I taught myself the content without the help of a school or an online course and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to know if I'm on track with my long response answers. And also if anyone knows where I can find model answers or would be willing to show me theirs, I'd greatly appreciate it. : )
Reply 66
Original post by discordhmmm
Hi guys, i decided to take up psychology a level during my gap year and I taught myself the content without the help of a school or an online course and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to know if I'm on track with my long response answers. And also if anyone knows where I can find model answers or would be willing to show me theirs, I'd greatly appreciate it. : )

Fair play that's no easy feat!, Tutor2U have some excellent example answers along with physics and maths tutor.
The way I answer longer answer questions eg 16 on the working memory model is this:
A01- Outline the model itself.
A03- Supporting evidence eg- case studies KF
A03- Problems with using case studies
A03- Problem with the Central executive for being too vague
If you follow that structure, most long answers will work out well!

Hey what exam board are u doing
Original post by darceyspiderman
Hey what exam board are u doing

It's probably aqa
Original post by Idk131
It's probably aqa

Yes im doing AQA : )
Original post by tmcm
Fair play that's no easy feat!, Tutor2U have some excellent example answers along with physics and maths tutor.
The way I answer longer answer questions eg 16 on the working memory model is this:
A01- Outline the model itself.
A03- Supporting evidence eg- case studies KF
A03- Problems with using case studies
A03- Problem with the Central executive for being too vague
If you follow that structure, most long answers will work out well!

thank you : ) Has your teacher at school said tutor2u and pmt are good because when I did economics my teacher used to tell me how bad they were for model answers so I didn't want to make the same mistake with psychology ? Also do you mind giving me some sort of idea as to how much detail you should go into for each point you make for and against a certain theory or something? thanks again x
Can someone please tell me do you need to have a conclusion in your 16 mark question answers? and if so does anyone have any guidance for the conclusion ?
Can someone please tell me do you need to have a conclusion in your 16 mark question answers? and if so does anyone have any guidance for the conclusion ?

I do AQA and I don't tend to. I think my teacher mentioned them once though and said about doing a brief one but that might be wrong. I don't think you need one really but if you have time for extra then consider it maybe
thank you : ) Has your teacher at school said tutor2u and pmt are good because when I did economics my teacher used to tell me how bad they were for model answers so I didn't want to make the same mistake with psychology ? Also do you mind giving me some sort of idea as to how much detail you should go into for each point you make for and against a certain theory or something? thanks again x

tutor2u is great for model essays, i can't say much for pmt bc i don't rlly use it

for AO1 paragraphs, you should be aiming for about 3-4 sentences of description
for AO3 paragraphs, we use the PEEL method at school and for a 16-mark q we aim to write 3 of those
incase you dk what PEEL is:
P- point
E - explanation
E - extra (counterpoint/additional point)
L - linking sentence (to sum it up)
Reply 74
Original post by akanksha.sx
tutor2u is great for model essays, i can't say much for pmt bc i don't rlly use it

for AO1 paragraphs, you should be aiming for about 3-4 sentences of description
for AO3 paragraphs, we use the PEEL method at school and for a 16-mark q we aim to write 3 of those
incase you dk what PEEL is:
P- point
E - explanation
E - extra (counterpoint/additional point)
L - linking sentence (to sum it up)

I second this one

i wanna know EVERYTHING in terms of how u revise and know how to answer questions
Hey, I am currently doing quite badly in my subjects Psychology A LEVEL and media studies A LEVEL, I have my end of year 12 exams or otherwise known as 'HSE' according to some of my teachers. These exams start in a week or so and i know that i wont do great on them but i also would like to start putting in the work for revision now so in the future i can slowly improve my grade to hopefully a B or A. My main confusion is that I don't know what to do and my teachers don't give great advice which leaves me not performing well and not knowing how to perform better. Being completely honest i winged my gcses and got 6's and to this day i am a complete rookie at revision which is starting to daunt on me.

If you could give me advice on what and how to revise that would be great
Original post by bigK250
Hey, I am currently doing quite badly in my subjects Psychology A LEVEL and media studies A LEVEL, I have my end of year 12 exams or otherwise known as 'HSE' according to some of my teachers. These exams start in a week or so and i know that i wont do great on them but i also would like to start putting in the work for revision now so in the future i can slowly improve my grade to hopefully a B or A. My main confusion is that I don't know what to do and my teachers don't give great advice which leaves me not performing well and not knowing how to perform better. Being completely honest i winged my gcses and got 6's and to this day i am a complete rookie at revision which is starting to daunt on me.

Make sure you're good for the statistics part of Psychology A-level. For essays, memorise some points and general ideas (to apply to specific situation), and some studies (results, application, methodology etc.).

Then do exam questions
Original post by bigK250

I feel like you could start memorising the content in smaller bits and then when u completely finish memorising a topic, use a completely blank piece of paper and write whatever you remember from that topic. Then go back and write whatever u missed in a different coloured pen (You can use this method every time and then just look back to the previous sheet to see if u have improved). This helped me to revise and go back to certain areas that I felt were weaker for me. Try to repeat this for all the topics and then the next time u revise you will have those sheets for revision which have summarised information. So you don't have to worry about seperately making notes. And do a lot of exam question to master the information u have studied. Hope this helps!!!
Reply 79
Original post by Learner26
I feel like you could start memorising the content in smaller bits and then when u completely finish memorising a topic, use a completely blank piece of paper and write whatever you remember from that topic. Then go back and write whatever u missed in a different coloured pen (You can use this method every time and then just look back to the previous sheet to see if u have improved). This helped me to revise and go back to certain areas that I felt were weaker for me. Try to repeat this for all the topics and then the next time u revise you will have those sheets for revision which have summarised information. So you don't have to worry about seperately making notes. And do a lot of exam question to master the information u have studied. Hope this helps!!!

Hi, could you give me advice on how to revise for psychology (AQA A level) as I have not started and I am stressing out? (i am in year 13) :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending