The Student Room Group

0 friends

I leave 6th form next year and I have made no friends, I just sit in the study room alone for break and lunch. People are very cold and mean, hopefully university is a better experience where people are more kind or I might just drop school all together.
Don't give up, I recommend starting small, such as joining in a bit with others during lessons or form, etc. This will help to grow confidence. Or you could find other people who feel the same way and introduce yourself. Good Luck! :smile:
With your university journey coming up, there are a few good tips to keep in mind when making new friends at uni and whilst there are so many more than I have here, these are just a few of my personal favourite choices and will be good to consider when you get there.

Joining the uni Facebook groups can be a great start and can help break the ice with people. You might be able to find a group for your university, course or even halls. It gives you an opportunity to get to know people before you go to uni and whilst you’re there.

Something else to do that most people might not think about is help your new mates move in if you’re in halls or private accommodation, and it can be a really natural way to get talking with people you’re living with and helps get over the awkward small talk.

Societies can also be a great way to make new friends as universities have huge amounts of different societies and you’re bound to find one which suits your interests. It’s really important to go to society events regularly and get to know the people there, and it can be difficult for everyone there but the more time you spend there, the more everyone gets to know each other.

A personal favourite of mine that worked really well for me (and I am quite introverted) is to invite course mates or society members out for lunch. You’d be surprised how many people would appreciate the offer and love the opportunity to go out for lunch with friends rather than sitting and eating on their own.

It really is all about taking small steps to improve your confidence.

I hope this helps and best of luck on your university journey.

All the best,

Tom :smile:
Original post by Etoile2004
I leave 6th form next year and I have made no friends, I just sit in the study room alone for break and lunch. People are very cold and mean, hopefully university is a better experience where people are more kind or I might just drop school all together.

Hi there
University is an amazing place to make new groups of mates and find lots of people who have the same passions as you! When you join uni join lots of societies, you will have a ball 🙂 keep going with school it sounds tricky but you can do it !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending