The Student Room Group

Academic Misconduct Meeting

So I submitted an assignment that was now under review and I then received an email today saying I have a preliminary meeting because of suspicion of plagiarism with another student in my cohort (the girl I sent the essay too) but basically the similarity is high because I sent the assignment to my friend and she has basically copied the entire essay hence the similarity is so HIGH and I don’t know what to say in this meeting and am terrified.I have two other assignments that I have submitted and the similarity in those two as well is high because of this girl do I mention that in this meeting.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Pats134
So I submitted an assignment that was now under review and I then received an email today saying I have a preliminary meeting because of suspicion of plagiarism with another student in my cohort (the girl I sent the essay too) but basically the similarity is high because I sent the assignment to my friend and she has basically copied the entire essay hence the similarity is so HIGH and I don’t know what to say in this meeting and am terrified.

And this is why you don't send you assignments to other people, even if they say they won't copy the contents and only want it as a reference or for some ideas. :frown:

Do you have evidence that you sent your assignment to your friend? (Or could she claim that she sent hers to you and you copied it?)

I don't know what your university's policy would be in terms of whether you are considered just as guilty as your friend or not, given that you provided her with your work, but it's quite possible that this would be the approach they they'd take.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
It's collusion and all you can do is cop to it and hope they take some degree of pity. It's likely you get 0 in the affected units. Hard lesson to learn.
Reply 3
And to be clear, yes you must spill all in the meeting.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
And this is why you don't send you assignments to other people, even if they say they won't copy the contents and only want it as a reference or for some ideas. :frown:

Do you have evidence that you sent your assignment to your friend? (Or could she claim that she sent hers to you and you copied it?)

I don't know what your university's policy would be in terms of whether you are considered just as guilty as your friend or not, given that you provided her with your work, but it's quite possible that this would be the approach they they'd take.

I have texts in which the essay has been sent to her however I also have multiple drafts of the essay as I have worked on it gradually so the changes to the essay are visible. I know I should not have given it to her however this is my first time going through something like this I really hope if I’m honest and explain that the consequences wouldn’t be severe.
Reply 5
Original post by Pats134
I have texts in which the essay has been sent to her however I also have multiple drafts of the essay as I have worked on it gradually so the changes to the essay are visible. I know I should not have given it to her however this is my first time going through something like this I really hope if I’m honest and explain that the consequences wouldn’t be severe.

What year are you? Provided you're not 3rd year then all you usually need to worry about is getting 0s.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Pats134

Can't really add anything to what @gjd800 has told you. Just be open and honest in the meeting, and whatever you do, don't conceal any information or try to bluster your way through it.
Reply 7
Yes I will spill all in the meeting. I’m just really stressed and scared
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
What year are you? Provided you're not 3rd year then all you usually need to worry about is getting 0s.

I’m in second year
Reply 9
Original post by Pats134
I’m in second year

Worst outcome is likely a likely dent to your average leaving you with work to do to in 3rd year to rescue it. It's not great but it shouldn't be the end of the world.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Can't really add anything to what @gjd800 has told you. Just be open and honest in the meeting, and whatever you do, don't conceal any information or try to bluster your way through it.

I won’t conceal anything and I will be honest and apologetic.
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
Worst outcome is likely a likely dent to your average leaving you with work to do to in 3rd year to rescue it. It's not great but it shouldn't be the end of the world.

hopefully that’s good because I study nursing so I can’t fail the assignment.
Original post by Pats134

If you're awarded zero for the module then you will, by definition, have failed it. You need to check with your programme leader or tutor the implications of failing this module on progression. Nursing/AHP degrees usually require all modules to be passed and 120 credits achieved to allow progression with no compensation or carryover.
Original post by Pats134

Well this isn’t good news, unfortunately academic misconduct isn’t an example of high integrity or your judgment. Hopefully you’ll pass through but it will remain on your academic record with this university - hopefully this information isn’t passed onto potential employers (im assuming this course is NHS aligned).
Original post by Pats134

Oh that changes things. You're very likely gonna fail the assignment(s) with a 0.
Reply 15
Can someone from the student union help you prepare for the meeting and attend with you? It would be a good idea as you say that you are terrified. Try not to panic too much. It is done now and you can do nothing but be upfront about everything. We all make mistakes in life. It is a lesson learned.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Pats134
So I submitted an assignment that was now under review and I then received an email today saying I have a preliminary meeting because of suspicion of plagiarism with another student in my cohort (the girl I sent the essay too) but basically the similarity is high because I sent the assignment to my friend and she has basically copied the entire essay hence the similarity is so HIGH and I don’t know what to say in this meeting and am terrified.I have two other assignments that I have submitted and the similarity in those two as well is high because of this girl do I mention that in this meeting.

What happened to you and your friend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending