The Student Room Group

My mental health is becoming unbearable

My living / work / family situation is difficult to juggle on top of uni and I feel like my only option is to drop out.

I recently got my old job back (after being made redundant a year ago) which will bring some financial stability into my life after being on 0 hour contracts and barely getting work. I have a bar job that is 0 hours which I will keep on top of my old job in order to live.

I rent with a private landlord who is turning our loft into an air bib meaning I have anxiety about who will be staying here / the amount of noise at awkward times due to regularly changing guests. I have a housemate living next to me who is a nightmare to deal with.

My parents sold my childhood home which means my only option is to rent in order to keep up my studies (they moved outside of London), although they held me financially.

I have tried to find places to live with a friend but nowhere wants us because we're students.

Everything I have tried, to better my living situation, in trying to move out hasn't worked and I barely get any rest due to my housemates / the idea of air bib guests being noisy or arriving/leaving at early hours in the morning. I can't plan my finances well as my old job only has 16 hrs contracted p/w and the bar work is not promised. Therefore, knowing my budget for moving is hard to predict. I can't go home to my parents and live there because the house isn't ours anymore.

My mental health has been on a rapid decline since December last year and I can't see myself getting out of this situation. I cry myself to sleep every night incredibly stressed and filled with anxiety.
Reply 1
Ah well
Reply 2
**** x
Reply 3
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it must be really difficult having to balance all of these things.

When finding a place to stay try using a variety of websites for your search and you'll be able to find more results, you could also contact the accommodation services at uni to help you find something - it's worth sending them an email. You could also consider renting a flat or property and split costs with your friend.

In regards to your studies, it isn't worth giving up especially after making it this far, you could take a year out for 'work experience' and use that as an opportunity to save up and work things out before returning to study next year. Do contact your personal academic tutor for advice.

For work you could try checking out unidays as it gives a lot of options for side hustles that'll help with costs for things and you could also consider online tutoring to help you save up alongside your other jobs. Have you tried applying for a maintenance loan? That may also help, it's also worth budgeting and trying to find ways to cut costs.

I hope this helps, good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest