The Student Room Group

How to make the most of your Christmas Break

Christmas is soon approaching, and it seems like an exciting time. However, how can you enjoy it if the stress of assignments and studies is lurking around. Maybe you have got too much on your plate and the thought of going back to it all in New Year is quite daunting. Which is why we have brought you some tips on how you can tackle the stress of uni and enjoy Christmas break.

I am sure you might have some assignments due in January or perhaps a refresher exam first thing next year. If you have finished most of your assignments by this time, I would highly recommend making a start on the assignment/s due next year. This will give you plenty of time to work on it without compromising on your Christmas break. Committing at least one or 2 hours every day on your uni work that is due in January will ensure that you have enough resources available and would put you at ease and you wouldn’t feel the stress of starting an assignment from scratch after Christmas or having your work pile up over break.

When you are back home, you might want to stay away from anything uni related (trust me, I have done that). However, being in touch with your classmates will also help keep your anxiety level in check. Ask them what they are up to. You don’t want to be going back to uni and getting shocked about an assignment you didn’t know about.

Just as you have a routine at university, keep that up when you are back home for the holidays. Even if it is getting up at 12 in noon or scrolling through Instagram or playing video games. Give yourself time off from studies. Dedicate certain hours a day to your assignments and stick to it so you can have the rest of the day to yourself without having the thought in the back of your head that you are disregarding your uni work. Even if you don’t have assignments or exams, do use this valuable time to revise and prep for next semester. It will debilitate the pressure of going back to university after the holidays.

And finally.....

Remember to switch off. I know I have been urging you not to forget your assignments. Which is why I want you guys to start before Christmas break so, during the break you wouldn’t have lot to work on and just one hour a day will be more than enough, and you can then relax and enjoy your holidays.

The first term of university can be super intense, so use this opportunity as a chance to unplug. It is pivotal to get away from it for the time being and allow yourself to be rejuvenated for your mental well being.Being outdoors is said to lower stress while improving your mood and mental health.

Use this precious time to catch up with your family and friends. Indulge in Netflix without feeling guilty, play in snow (hopefully it snows this year), go shopping, go watch a movie, go for walk. Do everything you wanted to but didn’t have time and make the most of your Christmas break having fun.

I hope you have a splendid Christmas.

Best,
Swarda, De Montfort University Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending