The Student Room Group

Uni halls in Christmas hoildays

I plan to start uni in September and will come home for Christmas but home isn't the best environment for me so if I wanted to could I go back to uni on let's say the 28th December?

I appreciate any advice :smile:
What you need to do is apply for accomodation which doesn't have a full close down over the vacations, this is often self catering accomodation as catered halls will at the very least close over Christmas and may want you out ( and your room cleared ) whenever it's not term time due to that Sweet, Sweet Conference income for the Uni
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by elliexmae.x
I plan to start uni in September and will come home for Christmas but home isn't the best environment for me so if I wanted to could I go back to uni on let's say the 28th December?

It depends on the uni, but I believe a lot as long as it isn't Oxbridge will allow you to stay over the period of the Christmas holidays without moving out :smile:
For example, my halls sent out an email to say that if anyone was staying to just please let them know if we were so they could ensure they knew who was staying for fire safety reasons etc.

You can stay during the holidays I think but that depends on the University it seems (based on the replies here).

I personally don't have to clear anything and can stay if i wanted to.
Reply 4
Original post by Miss Pulford
What you need to do is apply for accomodation which doesn't have a full close down over the vacations, this is often self catering accomodation as catered halls will at the very least close over Christmas and may want you out ( and your room cleared ) whenever it's not term time due to that Sweet, Sweet Conference income for the Uni

thank you so much i really appreciate the advice 🥰 I'm hoping to get into University of Nottingham to study law- another question I have AAA but the uni needs A*AA for my course so do you think I have a chance to getting an offer still? I do have extenuating circumstances if that helps?

Hi @elliexmae.x,
I believe you can apply to specific university halls which allow you to live in your accommodation over term breaks like Christmas. For instance, most of Lancaster halls are on 40 week contracts which cover, Christmas and Easter breaks and some of summer, but also offer the possibility to extend your contract to stay in uni accommodation for the whole of summer. So this is definitely something to check when you apply for halls.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hello.

I have stayed in halls for the past three years, and each time we are allowed to stay on campus over the holidays. Even Easter time. You do not have to remove your stuff, I suppose it depends on the unis, but I think everyone is the same.

Hassa, Liverpool Hope University Ambassador

Hi there,

I've stayed in halls over Christmas before absolutely fine. I'd recommend just checking with the accommodation provider that it's ok before hand, just to avoid any issues.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
thank you so much i really appreciate the advice 🥰 I'm hoping to get into University of Nottingham to study law- another question I have AAA but the uni needs A*AA for my course so do you think I have a chance to getting an offer still? I do have extenuating circumstances if that helps?

Hello!
Applying to university is a very exciting time! Most universities including Lancaster are quite flexible in looking at grades and will look at your personal statement and any other circumstances and take this into account. Lancaster has a very interesting Law degree which I will attach the link too and has entry grades of AAB which might be a good back up option for your grades.

Lancaster Law Degree https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/law-llb-hons-m100/2024/

Thanks, Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending