The Student Room Group

I can't decide between two degree options.

I do maths, chemistry and physics A levels, and I can't decide between a physics degree or a biology degree. I know that I don't do A level Biology, but I've found many universities that don't require Biology A level, or would allow me to do a foundation year. I love biology just as much as physics, and I really wish i chose biology instead of chemistry, but it's too late to change my A levels now. What should I do?
Original post by Blck_sb09
I do maths, chemistry and physics A levels, and I can't decide between a physics degree or a biology degree. I know that I don't do A level Biology, but I've found many universities that don't require Biology A level, or would allow me to do a foundation year. I love biology just as much as physics, and I really wish i chose biology instead of chemistry, but it's too late to change my A levels now. What should I do?

Do biology A Level in your gap year?
I would also talk to your teachers to see if they can make an exception for you to do 4 A Levels and you can try to catch up on Biology where possible over Christmas.

Have you consider biophysics (more physics than biology)? If you prefer a more engineering slant, biomedical engineering or medical technology? Sports science (and possibly physiotherapy) tend to cover both biology and physics (although I have issues with them because there is next to no maths). There are also natural science degrees that allow you to cover both physics and biology (as well as maths).

The problem with biology and physics, is that only a handful of disciplines cover both subjects equally. And it also follows that there's usually a split between life sciences (biology and chemistry) and physical sciences (physics, maths, chemistry). If you go down the life science route, it's difficult to switch to the physical science route without doing all the degrees again and vice versa (no postgrad conversion degrees would allow you to switch from one discipline to the other).

Personally, I would keep chemistry because a large number of the life science degrees would require both biology and chemistry. No point in limiting yourself unnecessarily.

If you give me your thoughts on where you ultimately want to end up doing after uni (after how many degrees), I would be able to better point you in the right direction.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Do biology A Level in your gap year?
I would also talk to your teachers to see if they can make an exception for you to do 4 A Levels and you can try to catch up on Biology where possible over Christmas.

Have you consider biophysics (more physics than biology)? If you prefer a more engineering slant, biomedical engineering or medical technology? Sports science (and possibly physiotherapy) tend to cover both biology and physics (although I have issues with them because there is next to no maths). There are also natural science degrees that allow you to cover both physics and biology (as well as maths).

The problem with biology and physics, is that only a handful of disciplines cover both subjects equally. And it also follows that there's usually a split between life sciences (biology and chemistry) and physical sciences (physics, maths, chemistry). If you go down the life science route, it's difficult to switch to the physical science route without doing all the degrees again and vice versa (no postgrad conversion degrees would allow you to switch from one discipline to the other).

Personally, I would keep chemistry because a large number of the life science degrees would require both biology and chemistry. No point in limiting yourself unnecessarily.

If you give me your thoughts on where you ultimately want to end up doing after uni (after how many degrees), I would be able to better point you in the right direction.

Thank you for your reply. Firstly, my school are one of the strictest in the country and would never let someone like me do 4 A levels, since my GCSE grades were nothing special, although I got some 8s here and there.

As for engineering, I am much more interested in the theory behind science, since I intend to do research on whatever science degree i choose.

I've considered a Natural Sciences degree, however I struggle to find a university that allows you to study biology classes without having done A level biology.

I definitely know that I want to get a PhD and conduct some research, and I may go into teaching at a university. But of course that research could be within Physics or Biology.
Thank you for your reply. Firstly, my school are one of the strictest in the country and would never let someone like me do 4 A levels, since my GCSE grades were nothing special, although I got some 8s here and there.

As for engineering, I am much more interested in the theory behind science, since I intend to do research on whatever science degree i choose.

I've considered a Natural Sciences degree, however I struggle to find a university that allows you to study biology classes without having done A level biology.

I definitely know that I want to get a PhD and conduct some research, and I may go into teaching at a university. But of course that research could be within Physics or Biology.

In which case, I would strongly recommend doing Biology A Level (should cost £1500 for assessment + exams, but it depends on whether you want to do a course as well) as opposed to doing a foundation year. It would significantly offer more flexibility when it comes to applying for Natural Science degrees.

The only 2 universities that I know of that do something along the lines of a foundation year for Natural Sciences are Nottingham and Open University. The foundation year in Notthingham looks into Biology + Chemistry, Health, or Chemistry + Physics (see: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/foundationcourses/uk-foundation.aspx)

Whilst Open university will let virtually anyone in, it's difficult to transfer to another university afterwards should you decide not to remain at Open University.
Natural Sciences degree - multi-science degree that looks at all the connections between the sciences - examples :
Nottingham - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/index.aspx
Lancaster - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/natural-sciences/

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham and did natural sciences as my undergraduate degree.

I think there are definitely a few options, whether its doing a foundation degree, a gap year with biology A level or doing a degree related to biology but without the A level. I know a lot of people that did a foundation year or gap year so it is certainly not unusual to do so before a degree.

Natural science could be a good option whether you take biology a level or not.
Without the A level you could take:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Psychology
Earth science
Ecosystems and environment
Archaeology

With biology you could also take
Biology and Cancer science.

I would recommend looking through each year and seeing if modules without biology interest you enough and fufill your interests or if you are better having a year out, doing biology and taking something that is 100% you.

I have left a link below but of you have any questions then just let me know,
Emily :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Natural-Sciences-BSc

Heya!
I would recommend taking a gap year and doing bio a-level during it :h: That way you'll have more uni and degree options when applying. You should be able to cover all of the a-level bio material in the gap year as it'll be the only subject you'll have to focus on. You could take a foundation year too but are you happy with the uni and the degrees that offer it? If you need free resources for sciences then check out Study Mind for free past papers and revision notes all done by topic!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hey!

I've seen a few people mention a natural sciences degree and would I absolutely recommend it as a great option for those of us with more than one favourite subject.
I'm currently in my 3rd year at Lancaster and know that there is the opportunity to study both physics and biology pathways without needing A-level biology. There is also a wide range of different biology pathways you take such biochemistry, microbiology and ecology depending on what you're interested in.
You can also choose to do a Msci degree which includes a research project and really sets you up well if research is what you want to do in the future. I'll be choosing my project in the new year and I can't wait :smile:

Best of luck with your decision and if you have any other questions let me know!

Oliver (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey!

I've seen a few people mention a natural sciences degree and would I absolutely recommend it as a great option for those of us with more than one favourite subject.
I'm currently in my 3rd year at Lancaster and know that there is the opportunity to study both physics and biology pathways without needing A-level biology. There is also a wide range of different biology pathways you take such biochemistry, microbiology and ecology depending on what you're interested in.
You can also choose to do a Msci degree which includes a research project and really sets you up well if research is what you want to do in the future. I'll be choosing my project in the new year and I can't wait :smile:

Best of luck with your decision and if you have any other questions let me know!

Oliver (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you for replying. Lancaster is going to be my 1st choice uni, so I'm really grateful to know that I don't need A level Biology.

you should do chemistry rn :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest