The Student Room Group

Most overrated Uni in general in the uk

No hate to any unis lol just wondering ...
In b4 someone is triggered into rabid mode when they see their uni mentioned.
Well that's easy, it's Exeter. Average regional uni which has paid their marketing team a lot of money to convince school leavers that somehow, improbably, they are comparable to Oxbridge and other unis lol. An assistant professor/senior lecturer there pretty much told me she thought as much herself too!
Original post by Gilmore115
No hate to any unis lol just wondering ...

KCL is def overrated cant lie it’s usually considered to be as good as ucl/ Warwick/LSE but it’s so much lower In the rankings sometimes they ask for higher grades aswell
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Well that's easy, it's Exeter.

The bias is showing again - just because you 'left' doesn't made it over-blown.

I would say Bristol and Imperial.
SOAS.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
SOAS.

I'm years out of date but know/ have met a few people who studied East Asian languages there who had a very intense education and great experiences. Not for the half hearted though.
Reply 7
This is more so from anecdote, but I would say Oxford and Cambridge, though that seems to be down to their reputation more than anything else really. I have a few friends who went to Oxford and the hype for it dies down after a while. I think some people have this notion, even I did, that the higher the ranking of the university, the more likely you are going to enjoy it, but that's not true at all!
All of them, fair is fair.
Warwick. Only 59% of its staff conduct high quality research. It (at least its Law dept) also crow about having a high number of female (70%) and BAME students (64%) so I'd think twice as a male about applying there if the fact that's it seems to look like a motorway service station hadn't already. Birmingham has better research intensity and research quality than Warwick yet people still think Warwick's a serious contender just because it's pretty good at Maths. And Germaine Greer teaches at Warwick.

For the same reason of a lowish percentage of staff (57%) conducting high quality research, I'm going to say Glasgow is overrated these days, largely by people who say it looks a bit like Hogwarts.

And LSE (65%).
(edited 1 week ago)
Leeds. They don't seem to care much about their students, especially those who are struggling, though they make it seem like they have really good student support. From anecdotes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending