The Student Room Group

Is there is chance?

I want to study at KCL or Warick for law however my GCSE grades are not very impressive as other applicants. I also study Business Studies which I am aware are not many top unis like this, But I am predicted all A's for my other a levels in economics psychology and EPQ. I am also taking an AS in maths. Is there a way I could strengthen my application despite my GCSE grades..
GCSEs won’t be much of a problem. Is the business an a level or BTEC? If it’s an a level then there is no issue.
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
I want to study at KCL or Warick for law however my GCSE grades are not very impressive as other applicants. I also study Business Studies which I am aware are not many top unis like this, But I am predicted all A's for my other a levels in economics psychology and EPQ. I am also taking an AS in maths. Is there a way I could strengthen my application despite my GCSE grades..

I agree that when you pay attention to preferred subjects for broader subjects like law and humanities, a lot of top universities classify Economics and Business Studies as too similar or classify Business Studies as an unsuitable A Level like General Studies. They may classify Economics and Business Studies as 1 A Level (Economics) when applying because of this.

What I would do is take a gap year and do a full A Level in Maths. This will mean that your academic profile consists of Economics(/Business Studies), Maths, Psychology and an EPQ (which hopefully relates to law or justice in some way).

If you do considerably well in your LNAT, you should be on par with other applicants.
Original post by SagaciousSag
I agree that when you pay attention to preferred subjects for broader subjects like law and humanities, a lot of top universities classify Economics and Business Studies as too similar or classify Business Studies as an unsuitable A Level like General Studies. They may classify Economics and Business Studies as 1 A Level (Economics) when applying because of this.

What I would do is take a gap year and do a full A Level in Maths. This will mean that your academic profile consists of Economics(/Business Studies), Maths, Psychology and an EPQ (which hopefully relates to law or justice in some way).

If you do considerably well in your LNAT, you should be on par with other applicants.

This is generally a crazy post. Where is your proof that unis will see economics and business as one A level?

Unis have no preferred a levels for law - if they did they would be listed, as they are for other subjects.

This is generally one of the worst ‘advice’ posts I’ve ever seen on here.
Original post by LawStudent456
This is generally a crazy post. Where is your proof that unis will see economics and business as one A level?

Unis have no preferred a levels for law - if they did they would be listed, as they are for other subjects.

This is generally one of the worst ‘advice’ posts I’ve ever seen on here.

There are no preferred subjects for law as a course, yes. However, as an example, LSE views Economics as a "preferred" subject and Business Studies as a "non-preferred" subject for the university itself. They also comment that they "expect applicants to offer at least 2 full A Levels...in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four)".

This suggests that to have a competitive application for any course, three A Levels in "preferred" subjects would be better than just two, hence why I suggested taking A Level Maths (a "preferred" subject).
Reply 5
Original post by LawStudent456
GCSEs won’t be much of a problem. Is the business an a level or BTEC? If it’s an a level then there is no issue.

Its an Alevel :smile:
Reply 6

Hey!

As long as your GCSEs aren’t bad you’re fine! You don’t need straight 9s and 8s at all. As long as you have at least a 6 in English Language (preferably higher but it’s fine if you don’t) and a 6 in Maths (but a 5 will do). GCSEs are very overrated so don’t worry. A lot of people who get top grades struggle at A Level and vice versa.

Business is not a preferred A Level that is true and it might get you into trouble with places like LSE who place a lot of emphasis on subject combinations - they definitely wouldn’t like that you take both Business and Economics BUT I don’t see it as a huge issue elsewhere (maybe UCL) but that’s it really, LSE are just a little pedantic with their combos. You defo have a shot at KCL and Warwick but you would need A*AA (at least for KCL). Are you predicted an A* in business and an A in the other two? Warwick is less competitive for law than KCL so if you have A*AA amongst other things you defo have a shot! Have you thought about other law schools? Law is great and arguably the most prestigious course Queen Mary offer. Most places will ask for A*AA-AAA so if you can really try and push for A*AA predicted. I think Warwick is AAA as is Nottingham to my knowledge which is great for law. I think Exeter is roughly similar to that as well as places like QUB and Birmingham etc.

I don’t think taking a gap year and doing Maths a level is necessary. Try and focus your EPQ on something legal. Debating is a good thing to have. Are they any essay competitions you can enter, any law ones. Read some academic work to put in your statement. LNAT is important and can help if you have lower grades but don’t worry if you don’t do as well as you’d like it’s not the end of the world and not all unis require it only the best ones. SOAS could offer you a lower offer if you ace it tho, maybe an AAB and there you have an insurance option. Legal work experience to show u have a genuine interest or working in a court or volunteering in some programmes which are justice related. A MOOC course through unifrog on something relating to law?

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by josesh
Hey!

As long as your GCSEs aren’t bad you’re fine! You don’t need straight 9s and 8s at all. As long as you have at least a 6 in English Language (preferably higher but it’s fine if you don’t) and a 6 in Maths (but a 5 will do). GCSEs are very overrated so don’t worry. A lot of people who get top grades struggle at A Level and vice versa.

Business is not a preferred A Level that is true and it might get you into trouble with places like LSE who place a lot of emphasis on subject combinations - they definitely wouldn’t like that you take both Business and Economics BUT I don’t see it as a huge issue elsewhere (maybe UCL) but that’s it really, LSE are just a little pedantic with their combos. You defo have a shot at KCL and Warwick but you would need A*AA (at least for KCL). Are you predicted an A* in business and an A in the other two? Warwick is less competitive for law than KCL so if you have A*AA amongst other things you defo have a shot! Have you thought about other law schools? Law is great and arguably the most prestigious course Queen Mary offer. Most places will ask for A*AA-AAA so if you can really try and push for A*AA predicted. I think Warwick is AAA as is Nottingham to my knowledge which is great for law. I think Exeter is roughly similar to that as well as places like QUB and Birmingham etc.

I don’t think taking a gap year and doing Maths a level is necessary. Try and focus your EPQ on something legal. Debating is a good thing to have. Are they any essay competitions you can enter, any law ones. Read some academic work to put in your statement. LNAT is important and can help if you have lower grades but don’t worry if you don’t do as well as you’d like it’s not the end of the world and not all unis require it only the best ones. SOAS could offer you a lower offer if you ace it tho, maybe an AAB and there you have an insurance option. Legal work experience to show u have a genuine interest or working in a court or volunteering in some programmes which are justice related. A MOOC course through unifrog on something relating to law?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi thank you so so much for this, This was really informative, I did get a 6 in English language but I got a 4 in maths.. but most top Unis require a 6. However I am doing an AS In maths and surprisingly Im predicted an A, Could that make a difference? Future more, mY EPQ isn't on something Legal, it's on Mental health in Ethnic background, I had a career change mid-year 12. But honestly thank you so much, I appreciate your time.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Hi thank you so so much for this, This was really informative, I did get a 6 in English language but I got a 4 in maths.. but most top Unis require a 6. However I am doing an AS In maths and surprisingly Im predicted an A, Could that make a difference? Future more, mY EPQ isn't on something Legal, it's on Mental health in Ethnic background, I had a career change mid-year 12. But honestly thank you so much, I appreciate your time.

Your EPQ doesn't have to be law related thats ok. I know like u said most unis require a 5-6 for maths (top ones) but im really not sure about your circumstances. If there is a reason why u got a 4 as opposed to a higher grade (medical or family or other personal reason) you should submit that when u apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending