The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Do I have a chance of getting into UCL for Psychology with education?

I've checked the subject requirements for this course and they mention, "Psychology, Sociology, Mathematics, or Biology preferred". The only subjects I have which meets those requirements are Psychology and Sociology. I'm also planning on writing my EPQ about a topic in Psychology linked to Biology to sort of make up for the fact that I don't have a science A-level. Do you think I still have a chance of being accepted for the course?
Reply 1
I believe they only require at least one or more of those subjects and you do two so yes you still have every chance, given you meet the grades!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Although in principle you only need one of the listed subjects, psychology at UCL is very heavy on the neuroscience side of things and I gather many if not most successful applicants have more background in the sciences. I would consider it a long shot - by all means apply but don't peg your hopes and dreams to it and just consider it an aspirational choice. Also bear in mind that if you struggled with or don't really enjoy the sciences, you may not enjoy psychology at UCL that much.
Original post by artful_lounger
Although in principle you only need one of the listed subjects, psychology at UCL is very heavy on the neuroscience side of things and I gather many if not most successful applicants have more background in the sciences. I would consider it a long shot - by all means apply but don't peg your hopes and dreams to it and just consider it an aspirational choice. Also bear in mind that if you struggled with or don't really enjoy the sciences, you may not enjoy psychology at UCL that much.

So is Psychology with education also quite sciencey? Looking back now I wish I had chosen Biology as during GCSE it was my preferred science out of Physics and Chemistry, but I didn't LOVE it. Do you think I should I consider doing Biology AS and A2 during year 13 alongside my other subjects?
Original post by Anonymous
So is Psychology with education also quite sciencey? Looking back now I wish I had chosen Biology as during GCSE it was my preferred science out of Physics and Chemistry, but I didn't LOVE it. Do you think I should I consider doing Biology AS and A2 during year 13 alongside my other subjects?

I'm hoping to do Psych with education as well and from looking at the courses in the program they seem to be not very sciency. There is one required math course and I think one other biological one but the rest are more humanities

So, looking a bit closer it looks like the psychology modules are run through the IOE rather than the psychology department, so it may those particular psychology modules are less focused on that. Of course, it is BPS accredited which means invariably there will be a minimum content of scientific psychology material. Since it's run through the IOE though there may be less emphasis on the neuroscientific, experimental science side of it.

Having background of AS or A-level Biology may be useful once you are on the course - not sure how much it will make a difference for admissions for that particular course. Although a lot of other psychology courses prefer or require an experimental science or maths so it may be useful for those in terms of admissions.

In any case, no reason not to apply - just bear in mind any psychology degree will contain a certain level of sciencey content, and this particular course may include more of that (but as it's not the main psychology department offering the modules, it may not). Do also consider your other options and the requirements/preferences of those - you should be focused on the course and not the uni offering it!
Original post by artful_lounger
So, looking a bit closer it looks like the psychology modules are run through the IOE rather than the psychology department, so it may those particular psychology modules are less focused on that. Of course, it is BPS accredited which means invariably there will be a minimum content of scientific psychology material. Since it's run through the IOE though there may be less emphasis on the neuroscientific, experimental science side of it.

Having background of AS or A-level Biology may be useful once you are on the course - not sure how much it will make a difference for admissions for that particular course. Although a lot of other psychology courses prefer or require an experimental science or maths so it may be useful for those in terms of admissions.

In any case, no reason not to apply - just bear in mind any psychology degree will contain a certain level of sciencey content, and this particular course may include more of that (but as it's not the main psychology department offering the modules, it may not). Do also consider your other options and the requirements/preferences of those - you should be focused on the course and not the uni offering it!

You're right about the last point, I hadn't even considered that! Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
i know two people who got into ucl for psychology without bio so dont worry!!

I've checked the subject requirements for this course and they mention, "Psychology, Sociology, Mathematics, or Biology preferred". The only subjects I have which meets those requirements are Psychology and Sociology. I'm also planning on writing my EPQ about a topic in Psychology linked to Biology to sort of make up for the fact that I don't have a science A-level. Do you think I still have a chance of being accepted for the course?
Reply 8
Original post by sloth127
i know two people who got into ucl for psychology without bio so dont worry!!

They got into the psychology course without any sciences? Do you know what kind of extra curricular activities they did to help build their application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending