The Student Room Group

Computer Science UCAS Entry requirement: English?

Hi! I’ m an overseas student with predicted grades ABBC. A in English, Bs in Maths & CS, C in Physics, no A-Level Maths. My biggest concern is whether English is considered in the entry requirement, as it’s the only A I’ve got.

Finger crossed 🤞🏻
Original post by Borganic
Hi! I’ m an overseas student with predicted grades ABBC. A in English, Bs in Maths & CS, C in Physics, no A-Level Maths. My biggest concern is whether English is considered in the entry requirement, as it’s the only A I’ve got.

Finger crossed 🤞🏻

Not all universities have the same entry requirements. However, English is a perfectly legitimate A level to have alongside your others. I don't know of any universities which disallow A level English from their entry requirements. (Other than those which were looking for three sciences only.)

Did you have any particular unis that you were interested in applying to?

It's difficult to understand what qualifications you're taking. You say, "A in English, Bs in Maths & CS, C in Physics", which implies you have a predicted grade B for Maths. But you then say, "no A-Level Maths". Are you taking Maths A level or not? Or does "Bs in Maths & CS" mean you're taking some odd double-award combined Maths and Computer Science A level?
Reply 2
Hello! Thanks for clearing up my doubts on my English grades not being accepted.

When I say I have no A level maths, I mean that I am not taking any extended maths (We call it M1 and M2 in my country) so I am concerned about not being accepted to certain universities.

I am more inclined towards applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, Cardiff and Loughborough University, but my agent tells me that some universities may require extended maths and/or may not accept English grade so I was quite confused but that.
Hello! Thanks for clearing up my doubts on my English grades not being accepted.

When I say I have no A level maths, I mean that I am not taking any extended maths (We call it M1 and M2 in my country) so I am concerned about not being accepted to certain universities.

I am more inclined towards applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, Cardiff and Loughborough University, but my agent tells me that some universities may require extended maths and/or may not accept English grade so I was quite confused but that.

The terms M1 and M2 typically refer to the Mechanics units within A level Maths. Which exam board are you using?

When your agent says "some universities may require extended maths", they're talking about a separate A level subject called Further Maths. None of the four universities you mention require it, and all four are happy with A level English.

I encourage you to check out their entry requirements yourself on their web sites, as you're likely to get more accurate information than via your agent.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The terms M1 and M2 typically refer to the Mechanics units within A level Maths. Which exam board are you using?

When your agent says "some universities may require extended maths", they're talking about a separate A level subject called Further Maths. None of the four universities you mention require it, and all four are happy with A level English.

I encourage you to check out their entry requirements yourself on their web sites, as you're likely to get more accurate information than via your agent.

Thank you for your help.

I am using the exam board from Hong Kong so there is difficultly in translating between HKDSE and A-level.
Thank you for your help.

I am using the exam board from Hong Kong so there is difficultly in translating between HKDSE and A-level.

Most UK universities will quote their entry requirements using international qualifications too.

For example, Sheffield (here) say than in term of UK A levels they want "AAA, including Maths" or "AAB, including A in Maths and B in Computer Science". However, they also provide a mapping to what they call "Hong Kong A levels" here where an AAA requirement becomes "AAB/BBB" and an AAB requirement becomes "BBB/BBC".

So it's still worth checking out the entry requirements on each university's web site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending