The Student Room Group

Software engineering at uni

I really want to do software engineering at university but my a levels are not related to that I do history, English lit and sociology. Now a lot of unis do require maths or computer science but some just have no specific subjects requirements. Is there a chance I can get into those unis that do not have specific subjects requirements or will i get rejected just because my a levels do not link to the subject
Reply 1
i also want to go in to software engineering . the entry requirement for the uni i want to go to require 4 gcse at a grade 4 and 80 ucas points.
(an a* in one A-level is =56 ucas points) go to the uni page u want to apply for and look at theyre requirements they may vary but im sure u can still do software engineering without actually studying computer science.Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by siocrystal
i also want to go in to software engineering . the entry requirement for the uni i want to go to require 4 gcse at a grade 4 and 80 ucas points.
(an a* in one A-level is =56 ucas points) go to the uni page u want to apply for and look at theyre requirements they may vary but im sure u can still do software engineering without actually studying computer science.Good luck!

Which uni is that if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 3
im afraid i cant say. im so sorry. but def search up unis near u and look at their requirements im sure you'll find one suitable to u.
Reply 4
Here are some of the Software Engineering courses, in no particular order. You can check their grade requirements, course modules and student satisfaction scores. Many will require maths/science but some won't (eg Sheffield Hallam?). If in doubt, contact a Univeristy and ask, but generally, what it says in the 'entrance requirements part of the website is what they will accept.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023&c%5Bq%5D=software+engineering

You could also do a foundation year to improve your maths knowledge before continuing to the degree. these are often design for studnets like you in mind (see Southampton's foundation details) Some listed here in random order:
(https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=software%20engineering%20foundation&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=2&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None )
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending