The Student Room Group

Advice for achieving the adventurous lifestyle

Hi, not sure how to word this properly but I'll give it my best shot. So I'm a woman in early 20s and 2 years ago I discovered I have an interest in hiking/exploring beautiful sights. It's something that makes me feel alive and excited. Although I cannot say I'm very experienced. I've never been camping or proper mountain walking. It's just really been trails and popular sights in my country. All in which an ex-friend and my sister (who isn't that interested in this stuff) drove me to.

I dream of traveling in the future but right now I'm more than content with exploring my country more and its beautiful sights. I'm also interested in nature photography so this is something I'd do as a hobby while traveling.

My problem is I can't drive and I'm pretty broke. I have considered investing in a bike however the area I'm in lacks anywhere scenic to cycle. I know of one trail however it is very repetitive and the only reason I would take up cycling was to get around new places. The closest place I could think of doing this is a good drive away still. So basically I think it be pointless getting a bike without a car to go places with it (ironically). I'm not comfortable with cycling on main car roads either.

I'm just not sure what to do. Regarding the traveling thing- I have looked into hotels with trails etc nearby though they're usually expensive and/or out of the way meaning I'd need to still get a car there. This is perhaps a different subject but solo traveling does scare me a bit as a female and I fear if I do go somewhere ill get too much anxiety and end up not doing anything to make a memorable trip. I'm more so talking about scenic places as going to cities alone wouldn't appeal to me much.

Eventually, I plan on getting driving lessons after I save up. I know this is really ranty and I doubt there will be much more solutions than the cycling thing but just wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems and what you would do. I see so many fit instragram influencers speaking on how they changed their life but never speak about financially problems or traveling without a car.

To sum up, I'm looking for advice to achieve this lifestyle without driving and with little funds. Im happy to hear anyone's stories, I enjoy reading them. And if anyone has book suggestions on this topic I'd love to give them a read as well.

Thank you for reading. 😀
Reply 1
Use Youth Hostels to stay, they have some single sex dorms - look for Bothy's in mountainous areas where you can sleep in (unheated) shelter overnight.

I would see if there are any Uni or local mountain climbing or hill walking clubs. The students might be able to car share and offer you a lift, share equipment etc etc

It is truly fantastic that you love the mountains. Nothing on earth is so grounding and puts you in perspective of life around you.
Reply 2
Buy camping equipment, book a camp site, get a train or coach to a destination and start your walk from the station.

You can always book a hotel at the destination to have a sleep before you set off or a bit of luxury when you return.

Quick Reply

Latest