The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Top Tips for your Personal Statement!

WHOO! :cheers: While some may find this stage a little daunting:afraid: I can assure you that this is the very start of a wonderful adventure of university!:auto:

When making University applications I'd personally advise having 5 universities that you would like to apply for as you will be asked to place them in order from 1 to 5 anyway. So always better to have options! Look around each university:run: and access the Open Days to find out what the campus has to offer as well as information about your course. In my case De Montfort University has an amazing history of Nursing, and the local hospitals offer amazing opportunities, including having one of the busiest emergency departments in the country, which has gone on to be my chosen area for work now that I have completed my Nursing degree! :nurse: :rave:

Personal statements: I say be honest, it makes it a lot easier when applying because for some courses you will be asked to attend an interview which may include questions surrounding your personal statement. Your personal statement should include you working at grades, your course of interest, and why this is your course of interest. I would advise not just writing I have always wanted to be, for example, a Nurse. Make it standout - this is your opportunity to shine! :colondollar::yay: Also something I’m not so good at, try not to make it pages and pages that are too long, as you want a powerful personal statement that people will remember to then offer you a place on your dream course.

So top tips!:clip:
Include the following for a smashing personal statement!

Why you have chosen the subject of choice:
Example: I have chosen to study nursing because I have a passion for health promotion and creating healthcare which provides education to our patients to make informed choices surrounding their lifestyles and health care options. I would like to make a difference in patients care ensuring their wishes are met and they are respected with the utmost dignity and respect whilst accessing healthcare.

Current studies and why these are relevant to your course at university:
Previous studies include sociology and health and social care. I have studied these because it provides me with a foundational understanding of health care and the laws surrounding patient safety and the importance of safeguarding vulnerable patients whilst developing an understanding of what a large impact health inequalities can have on people’s ability to access health care and how the area and background people are from can impact their health and wellbeing.

Experiences and how these relate to your chosen subject:
I have volunteered at a local rugby club as a first aider. This has supported me to develop an understanding of basic life support and first aid which has built my knowledge on the importance of accessing healthcare and minimising further injury upon transport to a hospital.

Interests and Hobbies: Even better if they have some relevance to your subject!
I enjoy listening to music and playing rugby. I enjoy the teamwork element of rugby and we support each other on and off the pitch which has really improved my communication and teamwork skills.

Congratulations; now you have everything you need!
Write that amazing personal statement and hopefully we will see some of you at De Montfort University in October 2024 !:grouphugs:

All the best
Emily :nurse::nurse:
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending