The Student Room Group

Starting non Commissioned role at 41

Hi,

I've been unsuccessful with my filter interview for becoming a People Ops Officer in the RAF. I've failed twice. The feedback hasn't been too bad, but I'm obviously not the strongest applicant. And I'm advised to try again in 12 months (which I don't want to do).

It may seem crazy to others, but I'm keen to join. I've been a military spouse and I've had a taste of military life, so to a degree I know what I'm getting into. Having failed the interview I'm still keen to join as a non commissioned recruit. Am I being realistic? Am I crazy?

I've weighed up the pro's and cons;

Pro's
* only 3 years minimum contract - Should I find it a struggle or I regret my decision.
* Learn from scratch, from the beginning and grow into the trade and the military
* Less responsibility and responsibility can be taken on as I grow within the role/trade.
* I already have life experience, JPA experience (having had a civilian role within the military). Experience of responding to people (arguably) making my transition into the military a little less overwhelming

Con's
* The salary is lower, lower than my civilian job - but this isn't going to be forever. Plus I'm going into this for the lifestyle.
* I'm going to be the oldest and stick out like a sore thumb - but this is where I need to ask myself how much do I want this? (And I do).

I feel that if I work hard, get involved, that I will be able to prove myself and get promoted to sergeant in a reasonable amount of time and I'm happy with that. Anything more is a bonus.

Why Am I joining the RAF?
I like the family feel of the service, the involvement and team interaction. I like the prospect of adventure training and getting involved with new things. The opportunities to work overseas. These are the true reasons why I'm wanting to join.

I guess I'm posting this question/my thoughts to gather some honest feedback and opinion.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
If it's the interview at which you have been unsuccessful, what have you taken from that and how confident are you of getting through this stage for a non-commissioned role?

Not sure I understand the comment about 'learn from scratch'; if that was something you would say to support your application, it's not clear what you mean.

If you are keen on progression and promotion, you would need to take on responsibility outside of your trade/role. This would mean getting involved in secondary duties, which isn't necessarily easy as committee positions tend to be for NCOs. Alternatively, you have outside hobbies and interests that provide evidence for this.

Lifestyle; have you considered the impact of additional duties, such as guard, parades, out-of-hours cover etc?

End of the day, go for it! There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Ex-RAF/Recruiter.

Quick Reply

Latest